Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and do not own the bike mentioned in the title yet. I would like everyone's opinion. The bike is a 2001 f4i, it starts and runs, however, it will not idle. As soon as you let off the throttle the bike dies. As long as you keep on the throttle, the bike will run. I am considering purchasing this bike from a friend for a very reasonable price. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what did it take to fix? I was a mechanic for a number of years and intend to fix the bike myself, if purchased. I am thinking it is a bad fuel pressure regulator combined with fowled plugs. The bike has 14,000 miles on it and I do not know if the valves have been adjusted. Any suggestions on what the culprit could be?

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Hello and welcome.
It truly could be any number of things (including what you already mentioned. Maybe even as simple as a vacuum leak :idunno: Without spending some time with it, we'd all just be throwing ideas at a wall and hoping one "sticks".

When buying used bikes (of the F4i's era), I go by the Thirty Five Hundred Rule :deal: If you buy it for $2500, expect to put at least $1000 into it... and don't expect a perfect bike for $4K either.

If he's your friend, maybe he'll allow you to do some troubleshooting BEFORE you lay out the cash. If not, re-evaluate your friendship, look for another machine, or just roll up your sleeves and (if you're up for a project and can get it "cheap" enough) with the help from Fireblades.org, a Sevice Manual, patience, and some coin, get after it :thumb:

Just a humble opinion from a like-minded motorcycle enthusiast :twocents:

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and do not own the bike mentioned in the title yet. I would like everyone's opinion. The bike is a 2001 f4i, it starts and runs, however, it will not idle. As soon as you let off the throttle the bike dies. As long as you keep on the throttle, the bike will run. I am considering purchasing this bike from a friend for a very reasonable price. Has anyone had this problem before and if so what did it take to fix? I was a mechanic for a number of years and intend to fix the bike myself, if purchased. I am thinking it is a bad fuel pressure regulator combined with fowled plugs. The bike has 14,000 miles on it and I do not know if the valves have been adjusted. Any suggestions on what the culprit could be?
Hi , will the manual idle Knob not hold the idle speed, just to start off with:smile

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend is not mechanically inclined at all and not in a huge hurry to sell. I fear that if I turn the idle knob up and it fixes the bike within his presence, he will not want to sell it. I use the word "friend" loosely, more of an acquaintance through work.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
My friend is not mechanically inclined at all and not in a huge hurry to sell. I fear that if I turn the idle knob up and it fixes the bike within his presence, he will not want to sell it. I use the word "friend" loosely, more of an acquaintance through work.
Nuff said:shades::thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most likely if it has a carburetor its the idle jet. Take the carb off the bike get and get a service manual and break it down and clean it real good. Make sure you wear safety glasses when spraying carb cleaner into ports (the little holes inside carb). If you need help breaking down that carb and dont know how to do it have a mechanic do it. Or you can ask some of the irregulars in here and we can walk you through the surgery. Also. Check the gas cap make sure it is vented. Check air filter. Make sure you have clean gas. Dump any old gas.
Use a fuel filter if it has a carb. Good thing about a carb is when it craps out you can fix it much easier than EFI. Good luck. 3z and 8tz

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
good info Andy :thumb:
...but I'm fairly certain the i in F4i is fuel injection.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
good info Andy :thumb:
...but I'm fairly certain the i in F4i is fuel injection.
:plus1: yep... pretty sure that's what that little "i" is saying there...

Most likely just the idle adjustment set too-low. I goofed around (pretty much for "shiggles") with my 954 to see how low I could get it to idle without stalling out... about 800rpm if you are curious =)

Either way, it is just a little cable with a knob on the end of it (usually). I would say there is a fair chance that is all that is wrong with it, especially if your "not so mechanically inclined" "friend" decided to have a play around and see what he could "fix" on his bike....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope it is something as simple as that. Either way, I'm going to make an offer on it this weekend and will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ask him to let you do a thorough inspection on it at a location of your choosing. Get a critical mechanics opinion (not your own) about everything wrong and how much to fix at going P&L prices. Make your decision then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts