Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

2001 F4i wont start.

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  2WheelFury 
#1 ·
I just got this bike a few weeks ago. So far so good. Although lately I noticed in the mornings when during the beginning part of my commute to work the bike idle's a little low when I'm at a stop light. After about 15 minutes in that goes away and it idles at about 1100 - it stays steady there and everything sounds good.

The same thing happened this morning. Idled low then was fine. Then this afternoon when I was getting close to home I noticed it doing the same thing again which was unusual. That far into a trip the low idling usually had gone away.

The bike sat for about 1-2 hours and I went to start it again and it wouldnt start. When I turn the key in the ignition everything lights up on the dash just like normal (it cycles through the speedo and the tach winds up and down). The headlight appears to be as bright as normal. And I can hear the fuel primer do its thing. When I press the ignition button the bike makes a click...and then nothing. No crank. Nothing. It just clicks. I have heard that sound before on a car I had once where the battery had completely died and nothing would come on.

Any clues as to what it may be? I kind of suspect its not the battery but I really have no idea.

The bike did not come with a manual and I am intend to buy one. Could it be a fuse issue? Spark plugs? Any ideas?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
You didn't mention if the bike restarted. But at first it sounds like a battery cable has wiggled a little loose. If you haven't been able to restart it at all, then there are 3 or 4 fuses to check. The main one is a 30 amp and is real close to the battery in it's own holder. I think you have a small fuse box just under the seat behind the battery too. Check all ground points too, that's a common one too.
How old is your battery, can you test it?

#3 ·
Im not sure I know what you mean by restarted. I got home and parked it. Then a couple of hours later I went to get back on and nothing. I have no idea how old the battery is but I can take it to be tested.

Ground points? Im sorry but I am not mechanically inclined - as in Im not really up on the terminology.

#4 ·
Ok, start with removing the seat. You'll see the battery, the red and black heavy battery cables, a fuse holder, and another small box that should have 5 or so fuses in it. Get a 10mm wrench or socket, and see if the battery cables are loose or tight. Be careful when you have the wrench on the + cable. If you touch other metal, it'll spark a good one and scare the snot outa you. Could do other damage too, so just be mindful and it'll be fine. Make sure the connections are clean and tight, not over tight. Look at the fuses carefully to see if the inner wire is intact or burnt. If you see any black it's probably fried. replace it with the same amperage fuse. The lid or box tells you what amperage each fuse should be. Make sure they're correct. It's a good idea to dab a little dielectric grease on the blades of the fuses before plugging them back in.
And try to get the battery tested, cause it could be that simple.

#6 ·
I just got this bike a few weeks ago. So far so good. Although lately I noticed in the mornings when during the beginning part of my commute to work the bike idle's a little low when I'm at a stop light. After about 15 minutes in that goes away and it idles at about 1100 - it stays steady there and everything sounds good.

The same thing happened this morning. Idled low then was fine. Then this afternoon when I was getting close to home I noticed it doing the same thing again which was unusual. That far into a trip the low idling usually had gone away.

The bike sat for about 1-2 hours and I went to start it again and it wouldnt start. When I turn the key in the ignition everything lights up on the dash just like normal (it cycles through the speedo and the tach winds up and down). The headlight appears to be as bright as normal. And I can hear the fuel primer do its thing. When I press the ignition button the bike makes a click...and then nothing. No crank. Nothing. It just clicks. I have heard that sound before on a car I had once where the battery had completely died and nothing would come on.

Any clues as to what it may be? I kind of suspect its not the battery but I really have no idea.

The bike did not come with a manual and I am intend to buy one. Could it be a fuse issue? Spark plugs? Any ideas?

Thanks.

My guess would be a flat battery, probably due to failure in the charging system.

#8 ·
i had the same issue with my 01 f4i. it turned out to be an issue with my charging system as bladeracer has already mentioned. good luck with it and hopefully that resolved your issue. keep us posted.

#10 ·
you might wanna have your stator looked at. you can find em pretty cheap if you dont buy them directly from honda haha.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.