Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I purchased a wrecked 01 CBR 929rr and have been through it with fixing this damn bike. This is not my first time rebuilding a bike however it is my first time having to pull the head gasket on a rocket. I believe its a head gasket issue I'm having, unfortunately when I start the bike it billows white smoke and doesn't sound happy. I've already got as far as pulling the cams and popping the bolts holding the head down (minus one that was rounded from the previous owner) I'm currently trying to get that last bolt out but I don't know which head gasket to buy or if I need the whole kit. Can anyone help me out here I have already ordered the Hayes manual and am just waiting for it to arrive. Also if anyone has an idea how to get that rounded bolt out I'm all ears because honestly that thing is beyond irritating at this point.
Thank you for any suggestions I appreciate the input.

· Registered
94 Posts
Possibly consider carefully drilling out the head and then removing the stud that's left after getting the head off.
You could also try an easy out but if it's torqued real tight it may not work as well. If the easy out snaps off you will be left with a bigger mess I think.

· Registered
89 Posts
Assuming you have tried a socket for stripped stud heads? I am also wondering if it is the stud in the corner next to the outer edge of the head, I was using 1/2 inch sockets until the half inch socket didn't properly go onto that bolt, had to go down to 3/8 socket to get onto that one. If it is that stud, the previous owner has maybe persevered with a half inch and as a result has rounded the head off it.
As for the gasket I go with Honda, purely for the difference in price to me is worth it with the amount of work involved, if an aftermarket failed and how annoyed you would be is a gamble I have not taken yet. Do make sure to check the head for straight, better still get it faced while its off, a wee bump up in compression won't hurt, I got mine skimmed down almost to the valve seat but of course that is a little risky so just get it faced if you like to play it safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts