Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help on this answer? i ride a great 2001 honda vlx 600 with loud pipes,and a jet kit. im having a issue with the water pump, when at idle at a light or stop sign or whatever all u hear is this high pitch whine sound and iv pin pointed it to the water pump. few dealers said change the water pump and some say its just the inner seal making noise from the diff. idle from the jet kit. is there anyone that has this problem or knows what to do? i just dont want to take out the motor and change the water pump just to hear it do it again.
any help would be great.
p.s. im not having any problems with overheating or anything, just an stupid annoying noise thats driving me nuts.:idunno:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
can anyone help on this answer? i ride a great 2001 honda vlx 600 with loud pipes,and a jet kit. im having a issue with the water pump, when at idle at a light or stop sign or whatever all u hear is this high pitch whine sound and iv pin pointed it to the water pump. few dealers said change the water pump and some say its just the inner seal making noise from the diff. idle from the jet kit. is there anyone that has this problem or knows what to do? i just dont want to take out the motor and change the water pump just to hear it do it again.
any help would be great.
p.s. im not having any problems with overheating or anything, just an stupid annoying noise thats driving me nuts.:idunno:

It could be a whine from a bad bearing perhaps.
I would open the pump up and see if the shaft has any play in it.
Surely you don't have to remove the engine just to replace the water pump?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what i was thinking. the front cover does come off so i guess ill take it off and see what i find. and idk yet i need to take a few more covers off and see how much room there is but according to the dealers you have to take out the engine but i think thats crap cause it looks like enough room to sneak it past the frame rail. guess ill try and pull it apart this weekend and see what i can find out. thanks for the help bladeracer ill post what i find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey mandkbowker, did you find the solution for this? I just purchased a 2000 VLX 600 with the same issue.

After warming up, the bike makes a high pitched whine only while idling. When you give it a bit of throttle, the noise goes away then comes back when idling again. I followed the noise to the area around the regulator. I wanted to see if you ultimately came up with a solution and, if so, what is was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts