Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me out.

this is the story

bought a 954 it ran for a couple days and all the sudden fuel pump died. so i changed the pump and got it from an aftermarket company. the pump started at first when i jumped it off the battery and then installed it. ran for a lil (15 min on a test ride) and then when i turned the bike off it wouldnt start up. took pump off... no power.

could it still be the ignition if it started it off the new pump?

when i say i, i mean the mechanic at a shop in phx. they are newer. but they say they checked all fuses and relays ect. there is gas in it. i have been reading about this a lot but i have not found an answer to the above question. sorry if this is a repost. please help! i have a lot of parts on the way from an online shopping spree!
thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
can anyone help me out.

this is the story

bought a 954 it ran for a couple days and all the sudden fuel pump died. so i changed the pump and got it from an aftermarket company. the pump started at first when i jumped it off the battery and then installed it. ran for a lil (15 min on a test ride) and then when i turned the bike off it wouldnt start up. took pump off... no power.

could it still be the ignition if it started it off the new pump?

when i say i, i mean the mechanic at a shop in phx. they are newer. but they say they checked all fuses and relays ect. there is gas in it. i have been reading about this a lot but i have not found an answer to the above question. sorry if this is a repost. please help! i have a lot of parts on the way from an online shopping spree!
thanks

Is it a high-pressure pump?
You need to make at least 50psi, which most aftermarket pumps won't do.
Car injection systems generally run lower than this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the fuel pump will not get any volts when it is off the bike jumped. dunno if that helps the analysis. grounds are good.dont have a way to check psi....

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
the fuel pump will not get any volts when it is off the bike jumped. dunno if that helps the analysis. grounds are good.dont have a way to check psi....

The specification sheet for the pump will say what pressure it's rated for.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
would it not get power if the psi was off by a lil?

Not if you tested it before putting it on the bike.
Since the bike is designed to power a high-pressure pump perhaps it damaged it when you ran it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok.
so i tested it. it turned on
installed it, bike ran for a lil
turned it off
now its dead

so basically i coulda shorted it out?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Check to see if you have power to the pump in the first place (now) and recheck your fuses if you do not. If you do have power to the pump then the problem lies (most likely) in the ground or pump.. easiest to check the pump ground with a voltmeter/continuity checker. Try that out first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone. i just got the new pump. an oem one this time haha. i will update you guys later this afternoon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My fuel pump won't prime at all, I checked it and it works fine directly from the battery, the bike cranks it just won't spark, when I grab the front of the wire harness the red mil light flickers there is a tiny piece of the blue harness burnt up, the one twards the front please help
Is it the ecu?
Should I buy a new wire harness
Ps the ignition is apart I am spinning the white disc to turn on ignition

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so got the new pump. Fuses relay and grou d are a go. The pump still sont prime. Hs continuity to where the ground goes in the pump and nothing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so the pump gets power now. relay is good. but when i plug the pump into the bike it gets no power. when put on a battery it will prime. the kill switch/ starter has been replaced. all fuses and grounds are good as far as i know. mechanic said he tested all of them. this is been going on for over a week now. third pump was hoping to be a charm but its just more of a headache. please help me guys! text or call or anything 9492809195
i have a lot of money in **** that i bought for the bike to upgrade it. from levers to exhaust and mirrors to gear. so u can imagine my frustration. so to those that have helped thank u and if u can help me further that would rock. i am deep in labor to where the bike is not worth what i paid anymore so if anyone is in arizona and can help me out that would be even better.
jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok so the pump gets power now. relay is good. but when i plug the pump into the bike it gets no power. when put on a battery it will prime. the kill switch/ starter has been replaced. all fuses and grounds are good as far as i know. mechanic said he tested all of them. this is been going on for over a week now. third pump was hoping to be a charm but its just more of a headache. please help me guys! text or call or anything 9492809195
i have a lot of money in **** that i bought for the bike to upgrade it. from levers to exhaust and mirrors to gear. so u can imagine my frustration. so to those that have helped thank u and if u can help me further that would rock. i am deep in labor to where the bike is not worth what i paid anymore so if anyone is in arizona and can help me out that would be even better.
jon
Please help Jon and I we seem to be having the same problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts