Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 954 that will crank but not start. Problem started out as the bike WOULD crank….then die off like battery not getting juice.

Tested battery and is OK. Since then I have replaced: the stator, regulator, starting motor, and spark plugs.

Currently the bike just turns over and will not start. It doesn’t go dead anymore, just cranks. Fuel pump is priming and sounds like it always has.

Any input or help is appreciated on what to try next. FPR? Side stand switch? :crying::frown

Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe it wont crank if the side stand switch goes bad.
Next check that you are truly not getting any spark.
Then test the camshaft and crankshaft sensor.
After that test that you are getting initial voltage to coils.

You still have the original cct?
I had similar issue with my 954 and it turned out that exhaust camshaft was 1 tooth off. That was all that needed for ecu to block it from sparking!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe it wont crank if the side stand switch goes bad.
Next check that you are truly not getting any spark.
Then test the camshaft and crankshaft sensor.
After that test that you are getting initial voltage to coils.

You still have the original cct?
I had similar issue with my 954 and it turned out that exhaust camshaft was 1 tooth off. That was all that needed for ecu to block it from sparking!
Agree, used to ride SVs and if the KSS goes bad then you're kinda stuck where you are. If it click and you can hear something trying to launch, that'd be the switch. You can test it if it sounds different with KS up and down. If there's no change then there you go.

Voltmeter for the win, just make sure you double check you're grounding properly and there are no ground-type switches. There could be tests to run in the FSM; in old Datsun books there's a chapter on troubleshooting electronics with a voltmeter and assorted electric junk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forgot to add that there are probably ECU lights/testers/voltmeter ports you can check with codes or sequences, no? I have a dumb bike. No computer but my SV did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts