Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 190+ degrees (not on cold start) bike developers a rattle/knock
it's only on the right hand side.

I've disconnected fuel injectors to narrow it down to a cylinder but sound prevails.

I'm beginning to believe it's a cam chain that's stretched a little too much and the tensioner isn't compensating.

I rode with it 200 miles yesterday and not a single issue, noise didn't get louder or softer. I didn't notice it until after I purchased it and got it home.

Sound only happens during a light rev and release or under acceleration up to around 4k rpm and quits down completely.

I genuinely do not believe rod/wrist pin, or piston slap, but always down for opinions!

You can barely hear it in the video

·
Registered
24 Posts
After 190+ degrees (not on cold start) bike developers a rattle/knock
it's only on the right hand side.

I've disconnected fuel injectors to narrow it down to a cylinder but sound prevails.

I'm beginning to believe it's a cam chain that's stretched a little too much and the tensioner isn't compensating.

I rode with it 200 miles yesterday and not a single issue, noise didn't get louder or softer. I didn't notice it until after I purchased it and got it home.

Sound only happens during a light rev and release or under acceleration up to around 4k rpm and quits down completely.

I genuinely do not believe rod/wrist pin, or piston slap, but always down for opinions!

You can barely hear it in the video
I had a weird knock similar to that.when i released the clutch it would go away.so that narrowed it to the clutch or trans.i pulled the clutch cover and then the springs.then i noticed the bearing on the spring holder plate thing was shot.swaped it out problem solved

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a weird knock similar to that.when i released the clutch it would go away.so that narrowed it to the clutch or trans.i pulled the clutch cover and then the springs.then i noticed the bearing on the spring holder plate thing was shot.swaped it out problem solved
Thank you! i'll give this a shot

·
Registered
170 Posts
Definitely sounds like something to do with the clutch. Just keep digging into there until you find the culprit.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out that bearing and it appears fine, still trying to source this knock down.. I'm starting to wonder if I have piston slap.. or possibly a rod about to come out

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you had piston slap or bad rod main bearings it would slap all the time. Piston slap especially is worse when the motor is cold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rod or main I meant to say. What does your oil look like? If your oil is really thin it could cause them to not properly lubricate when hot. Oil thins when it is hot

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

starts at 17 seconds, it hasn't gotten better, hasn't gotten worse, have replaced with manual CCT and no change..

I'm beginning to think it's a possible worn bearing MAYBE, but more-so piston slap.

ONLY starts after 200 degrees

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man i spoke to soon.the bearing i changed was off a parts bike.well the noise came back.i did a oil pressure test and i had like 20 psi at idle maybe 45 at 5400 rpms i think it was.i was to disgusted i killed the bike. Dropped the oil and there was brass shavings in it.i dont want to talk about what was in the oil filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts