Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions from owners. I've been on the edge of selling the WRX and getting a truck for a while now. Titan is the #1 choice, followed by the F-150 based on looks alone.

On the other hand, I have the opportunity to pick up a dark-red 2002 GMC with the 5.3L, running boards, full cap (which would be removed most of the time) and only 29,000 miles. My dad is a dealer, and traded the truck today. He has gone over it top to bottom. It's loaded and absolutely SPOTLESS. I prefer the other trucks (again based on looks,) but the kicker is that I can pick this one up for a fraction of what a used Titan or F-150 would run me.

I don't think that gas will be a huge issue. I average 17-18mpg in the WRX and have to run Premium Fuel.

I've been holding off buying an enclosed trailer b/c I didn't want to abuse my '98 Trooper. The truck will be used for a short commute and long-distance towing on vacations.

Opinions? Anyone want a clean WRX for under blue-book? :eyebrows:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Those years of GM had some pretty serious piston slap issues. My '01 5.3 wasn't going to live a long life.

Not all were affected, but GM refused to fix them...and of course, there is the obligatory class action in progress as we speak.

Another friend also had problems with the driveline, which was also apparently a design problem, but he also beats the hell out of his stuff so I take that one with a grain of salt.

Otherwise it's a good engine and nice truck.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Got a 2000 Sierra with the little V8. I wish it was a 2500 since I only use it to tow. 95K miles and no complaints. It tows the sheephauler but is working a bit through the hills and gets a bit of sway above 70MPH at times (so I try to keep it below that).

The only issue so far is the CD player to a holiday so I put an Alpine in :thumb: Also when you change the trans filter DO NOT change the seal just the filter (you can thank me later)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only issue so far is the CD player to a holiday so I put an Alpine in :thumb: Also when you change the trans filter DO NOT change the seal just the filter (you can thank me later)
I'll keep the filter in mind. I switched to the XM Inno, so CD's are a thing of the past for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Completely unrelated, but the new Avalanche is a very good looking truck.
Still not my cup 'o tea, but I was checking one out at the ALMS event in the Chevy tent and it is very classy and stylish for a truck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
A friend of mine just picked up a blue model like that. I had a GMC product that had transmission issues but other than that it was a good truck.
I currently have a Titan and really like it. Nice quiet cab, good supportive seats and great power. Went to Texas recently and got 17 mpg with the cruise set at 85....16.9 to be exact.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Agree. And still useless.
You sir are insane. I had one and it was the schizz. Great for road-trips (great comfort, ride, storage, but bad mpg). It is the most flexible veh I can think of. 5 people comfortably, and a bike in the bed. Or, a bike in the bed, two people and lots of crap in the cab. Or, a bike in the bed, 3 people and a little less crap in the cab. Or, A bunch of crap in the bed under the locked panels, and 5 people. Or...

You get my drift.

I miss that truck every day except "fill-up" day. at $3 a gallon it would've cost my 100 bones to fill the tank.

HD

·
Registered
354 Posts
You sir are insane. I had one and it was the schizz. Great for road-trips (great comfort, ride, storage, but bad mpg). It is the most flexible veh I can think of. 5 people comfortably, and a bike in the bed. Or, a bike in the bed, two people and lots of crap in the cab. Or, a bike in the bed, 3 people and a little less crap in the cab. Or, A bunch of crap in the bed under the locked panels, and 5 people. Or...

You get my drift.

I miss that truck every day except "fill-up" day. at $3 a gallon it would've cost my 100 bones to fill the tank.

HD
My dad's F-350 Turbo Diesel will do the same, plus another bike in the bed, plus a huge trailer, plus it looks like a truck, not a half-assed anything! Ok, I'll step down :soapbox: :D

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
If I were to buy any truck right now (which I wouldn't, as all trucks are useless to me) it would hands down be the new Avalanche. It is FAR better looking than ANY Ford "Super Duty" (what a laugh that is anyway), is actually flexible to use as multiple platforms, doesn't have a diesel engine, will pull and haul anything I need it to, and will do so much more comfortably.
Did I mention it doesn't look like complete ass like all "Super Duty" trucks?

But none of that matters anyway as there is 0% chance of me buying a truck. I already had a very nice rig that I never really used as a truck, and while it had all the interior appointments wasn't as comfortable as most cheap small sedans.
But it was definately the easiest thing to park I have ever driven.

I take that back, I may end up buying another small truck to use off-road, like a truck should be used and where full sized trucks can't go.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts

You get my drift.

HD
Yes, all valid points, but all things you could do (better, arguably) with a cheaper half-ton crew cab... and you wouldn't have to lift stuff 5 feet over the huge bed-sides.

And I still think the new Av is a nice clean classy looking rig.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
If I were to buy any truck right now (which I wouldn't, as all trucks are useless to me) it would hands down be the new Avalanche. It is FAR better looking than ANY Ford "Super Duty" (what a laugh that is anyway), is actually flexible to use as multiple platforms, doesn't have a diesel engine, will pull and haul anything I need it to, and will do so much more comfortably.
Did I mention it doesn't look like complete ass like all "Super Duty" trucks?

But none of that matters anyway as there is 0% chance of me buying a truck. I already had a very nice rig that I never really used as a truck, and while it had all the interior appointments wasn't as comfortable as most cheap small sedans.
But it was definately the easiest thing to park I have ever driven.

I take that back, I may end up buying another small truck to use off-road, like a truck should be used and where full sized trucks can't go.
Do you have a point to make here? Because that just seemed like a lot of drunken rambling.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Yes, all valid points, but all things you could do (better, arguably) with a cheaper half-ton crew cab... and you wouldn't have to lift stuff 5 feet over the huge bed-sides.

And I still think the new Av is a nice clean classy looking rig.
W/ the midgate down, you can have access to the bed and all of the contents still locked. Only downfall is that if you put the midgate down, and have to have the bed panels off, you can't lock the truck. I never ran into that problem. As far as the tall ass bed-sides: put the midgate and tail gate down and you can load from either direction.

I used to leave the panels on, and the gate down, and let the dog have all that area to roam. He loved it, and I didn't have to vacuum the seats everytime I took him somewhere.

Oh yea, one more thing. A nice summer day, all windows down and the back window out (stowed safely in the midgate) and the seats still up. It was like driving a jeep, but nicer.

Best truck ever. My only complaint was that the midgate wasn't split (ie 60/40) and due to the weirdness of the bed you couldn't get a 5th wheel in there. And there's no diesel.

If they made an Ave that could accept a 5th wheel w/ a diesel, I'd buy one today (assuming it wasn't a bazillion buckaroos...which it would be).

HD

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
If they made an Ave that could accept a 5th wheel w/ a diesel, I'd buy one today

HD
THey do, it's called a crew cab pickup. :rotfl:

I don't get the midgate thing. You still can't load a bunch of lumber or gyprock or whatever with it down because you don't have enough of a bulkhead between you and the cargo. As far as taking the back window out, there are trucks (Tundra for one) where you can power down the entire back window.

I don't mean to bust your balls. :D I'm not saying they aren't a nice truck they just don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
THey do, it's called a crew cab pickup. :rotfl:

I don't get the midgate thing. You still can't load a bunch of lumber or gyprock or whatever with it down because you don't have enough of a bulkhead between you and the cargo.
Huh? I used to strap my bike into the gate. My buddy used the truck to haul sheetrock.

What can't you load it down? :idunno:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts