Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Being a relative new comer to the 954 a good friend i ride with suggested i pop in here / talk to some experts(?) before installing a KnN high flow air filter to my 954. I understand these parts need not be changed every 18 months and that they can be cleaned etc... But apparently these can be detrimental to how the bikes runs?

Thanks in advance. Pic of my blades below :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
nice looking bikes and welcome if i havent already welcomed you!

i dont think anyone will say that the k&n air filters arent a good product, however, ill leave this info submitted by another member concerning real world dyno tests on a cbr 929. not a 954 but very similar and with the air filter being the focus of the tests i would say you can make a solid conclusion based on these numbers.

another thing to consider is the k&n is reusable but has to be cleaned regularly and then sprayed with a special oil. the k&n doesnt filter nearly as good as a paper filter unless its been freshly serviced and i think even that has somewhat of a subjective result when compared to a paper filter like the oem. its going to depend on some variables like how well you apply the filter oil and its cleanliness beforehand. where a paper filter may get clogged over time but will always filter out most harmful particulates due to the nature of the product.

anyway here are the numbers. oem wins in every test. i should note that these tests were done on the 929 by a race team before the dynojet power commander was available for the 929 in 2000. the op went on to say in a follow up post that they ran the tests again after the power commander was released and spent many hours tuning the bike in each scenario and the results were very similar to these tests.

Submitted by: abtech

We ran the following tests regarding air filters on a stock 929 with OEM exhaust, Hindle bolt on and Hindle full system:

OEM filter 3 runs:

OEM Exhaust best run: 121.5
Hindle bolt on best run: 124.0
Hindle full system best run: 133.5

K&N 929 replacement filter:

OEM Exhaust best run: 119.0
Hindle bolt on best run: 121.0
Hindle full system best run: 129.5

"Whacked" filter (all paper removed, both screens remained)

OEM Exhaust best run: 124.5
Hindle bolt on best run: 127.5
Hindle full system best run: 137.0

These test were run on 108 Octane Sunoco "pump" race gas on a DJ 250 and were made without any third party fuel management system (i.e. PC111 etc.) The test site is 530 ft above sea level and all readings are SAE sea level temp and pressure corrected from "actual" 80 degrees ambient temp and 74% relative humidity.

The same set of tests run on Torco Stealth 14 followed almost identical curves, but yielded an average of 3 additional HP except for the full system with the "modified" OEM filter which produced 144 to 146 HP in 12 consecutive runs.

Pair system was removed (and sealed) while the flapper was IN during all tests.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most excellent post. Thank you. Just to clarify that i'm interpreting the tests correctly. The numbers pertain to HP? And an increase in HP with AM filters which (although good) are detrimental to the bike?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
correct. you can see the oem honda air filter performed best in terms of hp numbers in every test.

really its hard to beat a paper filters ability to filter air as well. the k&n is reusable but i doubt it filters better than the oem honda filter either. so really your best bet imo is oem filter. most honda guys swear by them. oem oil filters as well.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,251 Posts
correct. you can see the oem honda air filter performed best in terms of hp numbers in every test.

really its hard to beat a paper filters ability to filter air as well. the k&n is reusable but i doubt it filters better than the oem honda filter either. so really your best bet imo is oem filter. most honda guys swear by them. oem oil filters as well.
Well said Kevin. :plus1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts