Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
News from my Local Honda Dealer........

Speedo fault recall actually reading upto 25% slower than the bike is travelling - so if you think you are doing 30 mph you could infact be actually doing 37.5 mph --- Not good for speeding tickets as mentioned in a previous thread ????

My Bike currently in having the speedo changed under the recall and Dealer says that Honda have promised to step in if any one in the UK is issued with a speading ticket as a result of the problem - but I am not sure how good this would be with the police ?? :idunno:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
jayB said:
News from my Local Honda Dealer........

Speedo fault recall actually reading upto 25% slower than the bike is travelling - so if you think you are doing 30 mph you could infact be actually doing 37.5 mph --- Not good for speeding tickets as mentioned in a previous thread ????

My Bike currently in having the speedo changed under the recall and Dealer says that Honda have promised to step in if any one in the UK is issued with a speading ticket as a result of the problem - but I am not sure how good this would be with the police ?? :idunno:
OK found a zillion threads saying they are recalled but none saying how long the fix takes. So how long fellow victims? I am waiting until it gets colder since I don't want to lose seat time. Besides I know how fast I am going :evilaugh:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
~3300 miles and I still have not had mine done. maybe when I get it inspected next month? maybe not. :idunno: not really a concern for me.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
sheepofblue said:
OK found a zillion threads saying they are recalled but none saying how long the fix takes. So how long fellow victims? I am waiting until it gets colder since I don't want to lose seat time. Besides I know how fast I am going :evilaugh:

:rotfl: Look at all those threads :rotfl:

I did the recall work myself.

1. Pull upper, and mid fairings (10 Minutes)
2. Take connector off of speedo, unscrew speedo. (5 minutes)
3. Screw in new speedo (1 minute)
4. Put fairings back on (15 minutes)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
booth23 said:

2. ...
3. ...
How come it always takes longer going BACK on? :crap: :confused:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
booth23 said:
:rotfl: Look at all those threads :rotfl:

2. Take connector off of speedo, unscrew speedo. (5 minutes)
3. Screw in new speedo (1 minute)
OK maybe not all, but I did scan a bunch before bailing.

So the dealer let you have the part to do yourself or....? I figured this to be a simple task but I also figure they would want the bike a day :thumbd:

Oh and mine has 4000ish and no problem so far. Originally I was figuring I might try the letter as alibi in court if needed.... But so far I have behaved.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I don't want a service tech that I don't know personally working on my bike. If I have to go that route for something like valve adj. (one of the things I can't do myself), I'll strip the bike of all plastic and drop it off.

At any rate, I had taken all my plastic off the bike to get cleared, and I didn't want to put it back together only to go back to the stealer and have them take it right back apart to put the new speedo on. So I convinced the service mgr. to let me bring my old speedo in and do a swap with the new, which he let me do. I didn't lie about the mileage either, even though I could have. I had 1313 on the ODO when I did the swap.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
booth23 said:
I don't want a service tech that I don't know personally working on my bike. If I have to go that route for something like valve adj. (one of the things I can't do myself), I'll strip the bike of all plastic and drop it off.

At any rate, I had taken all my plastic off the bike to get cleared, and I didn't want to put it back together only to go back to the stealer and have them take it right back apart to put the new speedo on. So I convinced the service mgr. to let me bring my old speedo in and do a swap with the new, which he let me do. I didn't lie about the mileage either, even though I could have. I had 1313 on the ODO when I did the swap.

Lie to who about the mileage, where was this info noted? I was figuring on just using a paint pen on the back back of the new speedo to note the old mileage. they don't reprogram the new speedo with the old mileage do they?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Not sure on bikes but car dealers are required to input the mileage. I worked at GM for a bit and it is a rather trivial process. Of course I have less than zero plans on parting with mine so mileage is irrelevant.

Also I very much agree on not wanting someone else touching my bike. I prefer no one touch the car so you can imagine my attitude on the 1000RR ;)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
freq said:
Lie to who about the mileage, where was this info noted? I was figuring on just using a paint pen on the back back of the new speedo to note the old mileage. they don't reprogram the new speedo with the old mileage do they?
No they didn't. I could have lied to the service mgr.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
NinerPilot said:
Because, at least on the one I have worked on, the 1KRR has some of the tightest most PITA fairings I have ever dealt with...
Chris

A-f*&king-men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number of times I've been trying to get a bolt into a hole in the failing light, and ending up screaming at the think "Just go in the F&*king hole" is not funny. If you after a nice calm afternoon don't attempt to take of the 1000RR fairings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts