Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues with my Australian 04 CBR600RR.
My bike was fine. Sat for 2 weeks. Came back and it won't start. Cranked over fine (battery was fine but the cranking eventually drained it so I then charged it and tried jumping it off a charged car battery) but doesn't even attempt to fire. The kill switch appears to work as when I turn it on it doesn't crank at all. The HISS light flashes red when the key is out and doesn't flash at all when the key is turned on. Is this correct? Does this rule out the HISS system?

I can also not hear the fuel pump priming but was unsure if this is HISS related?

Also, the tilt sensor has been removed and the wires bridged. This was done ages ago and nothing has changed.

Checked the fuse box and they appear all fine but can't see any fuel pump fuse.

I then took the bike to a shop to look at and they reckon the ecu is dead. I can't see how this is possible when the bike was just sitting there doing nothing?

So firstly, I guess I am going to try and get the fuel pump to prime so will change the relays with a fan one or something and see if that works. Any way to diagnose if the fuel pump has packed it in without changing it?
I don't believe the engine is flooded because of the fuel pump not priming so even if the injectors are opening no fuel will be injected.

So, worst case scenario and the shop is right and the ecu is dead. How hard is it to swap to a US non HISS ecu? What else is required? harness, ignition, key, dash instrumentation? Is it plug and play or would there be some wiring integration required?

Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I am having some issues with my Australian 04 CBR600RR.
My bike was fine. Sat for 2 weeks. Came back and it won't start. Cranked over fine (battery was fine but the cranking eventually drained it so I then charged it and tried jumping it off a charged car battery) but doesn't even attempt to fire. The kill switch appears to work as when I turn it on it doesn't crank at all. The HISS light flashes red when the key is out and doesn't flash at all when the key is turned on. Is this correct? Does this rule out the HISS system?

I can also not hear the fuel pump priming but was unsure if this is HISS related?

Also, the tilt sensor has been removed and the wires bridged. This was done ages ago and nothing has changed.

Checked the fuse box and they appear all fine but can't see any fuel pump fuse.

I then took the bike to a shop to look at and they reckon the ecu is dead. I can't see how this is possible when the bike was just sitting there doing nothing?

So firstly, I guess I am going to try and get the fuel pump to prime so will change the relays with a fan one or something and see if that works. Any way to diagnose if the fuel pump has packed it in without changing it?
I don't believe the engine is flooded because of the fuel pump not priming so even if the injectors are opening no fuel will be injected.

So, worst case scenario and the shop is right and the ecu is dead. How hard is it to swap to a US non HISS ecu? What else is required? harness, ignition, key, dash instrumentation? Is it plug and play or would there be some wiring integration required?

Thanks
Chris
If the pump is not priming then the engine is definately not going to fire.
You can prime the pump by running power directly to it from the battery but it would be sensible to confirm if you have spark first.
This will also tell you if the pump is dead or alive. If it runs off the battery then something else is stopping power from getting to it. Check the relay for a start as well as the various kill switches and the wiring itself. Since the BAS is already bypassed (bad idea in my opinion) check the connections that have been cut.
If you have spark and you have power to the pump it should run. I've been running one of my cars for over a year with the fuel pump drawing directly from the battery.
Can't comment on the HISS light as mine was always switched off so I've never even seen it.
To rule out the ECU you just need another bike to swap that bike's ECU into yours. Then hold the other bike's key near the HISS sensor so you can start your bike. If it still won't start then you need to rule out a problem with your sensor or its circuit to the ECU - it may not be sending the signal through. If it does start with the new ECU then the problem may be the chip in your key. If you have any reason to believe there is an electrical problem that could potentially have damaged your ECU, make sure you repair that before plugging any other ECU's into the bike.
If you get non-Cali US harness, ECU, ignition switch and instrument cluster I would expect it would all go straight in. You need the wiring diagrams to see where the differences are to decide if you can simply re-wire or if it's easier to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
would bet money its the tip over sensor... if bad, it will cut fuel pump and ignition.. you can test it easily enough by bypassing the switch.. its usually the outside two wires on the 3 prong plug.. use a paper clip to test.. if it starts with the paper clip, either replace the tip over sensor, or bypass it permanently

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for help guys. I actually fixed it on the weekend. Faulty fuel pimp relay! I think the mechanics were being a bit dodgy saying I need a new ecu!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
would bet money its the tip over sensor... if bad, it will cut fuel pump and ignition.. you can test it easily enough by bypassing the switch.. its usually the outside two wires on the 3 prong plug.. use a paper clip to test.. if it starts with the paper clip, either replace the tip over sensor, or bypass it permanently
Did you miss this bit?
"Also, the tilt sensor has been removed and the wires bridged."

·
Registered
2 Posts
from reading this is it correct to say that the tip over sensor will stop it from sparking?
i am having problems with my bike i bought a wrecked one and have changed everything over to a new frame a new wiring harness, same ecu have pulled out spark plug and put againts frame but not getting a spark, no noise of fuel pump activating have switched over relay from old harness but still nothing. not sure what to do

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
from reading this is it correct to say that the tip over sensor will stop it from sparking?
i am having problems with my bike i bought a wrecked one and have changed everything over to a new frame a new wiring harness, same ecu have pulled out spark plug and put againts frame but not getting a spark, no noise of fuel pump activating have switched over relay from old harness but still nothing. not sure what to do

Are you using the correct key that matches the ECU?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
us models do not have coded keys... definitely the tip over sensor

Sure, except that "Brisbane, Australia" isn't in the US ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks 2004 CBR600RR with similar issue. I would turn on the ignition, all the lights worked, the dash cluster would light up , starter switch would crank the engine but the fuel pump would not prime and the coils would not energize. Here is a video that explained my fix. It turned out to be the Zenor Diode in the ignition switch. I found a lot of people post on here asking for help but they never up date the thread when they find the fix. I hope this can help someone else out and save them time and money trying to diagnose this issue

If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

Good Luck!
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Hi folks 2004 CBR600RR with similar issue. I would turn on the ignition, all the lights worked, the dash cluster would light up , starter switch would crank the engine but the fuel pump would not prime and the coils would not energize. Here is a video that explained my fix. It turned out to be the Zenor Diode in the ignition switch. I found a lot of people post on here asking for help but they never up date the thread when they find the fix. I hope this can help someone else out and save them time and money trying to diagnose this issue

https://youtu.be/oaixZVeusv4

Good Luck!
Andrew
Good presentation that one Andrew, why don't you become a member?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,154 Posts

https://youtu.be/oaixZVeusv4

Good Luck!
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. Total coincidence??? We've been working with a guy on a 929 with diode/fuel pump issues.

Great explanation :thumb:

HOWEVER........let us know if YOUR $20 new aftermarket ignition works, as they don't come with color matching wires or the diode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts