Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
That gauge cluster kicks !!! I would rather the speedo and tach be swapped though (digital tach and sweeping speedo). The indiglo backlighting may be a bit harsh at night and hard to read during the day.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I prefer a needle for my tach (it is more accurate).

FYI, it looks like the entire display is digital, including the tach. Looks kinda like the RC51 with little leds to mark off every 250 RPM or so.

I guess underseat exhaust is the wave of the future. Seems to be a popular design for most of the new models...

·
Registered
929 Posts
lfg929 : I prefer a needle for my tach (it is more accurate).

FYI, it looks like the entire display is digital, including the tach.
Analog more accurate than digital? Umm...nope. The The digital signal comes from the ECM via a sensor on the flywheel (example). Analog is mechanical = parts that wear out and flex.

Yeah, the entire cluster is digital. I would still want my speedo to sweep (digitally in this case) and tach to be a digital number (more precise). I pay more attention to the tach than the speedo, so its only proper for it to be the first thing I see (if given the option).

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Serial Thriller : Quote (showmethebombs @ Aug. 20 2003, 10:00am)in no way does that look like the 919.  No way at all.
from 'Tommy Boy':
Gas Station Employee: I'm picking up your sarcasm.
Richard: That's because I'm laying it on you pretty thick.

·
Registered
433 Posts
googolplexu : Quote (lfg929 @ Aug. 20 2003, 11:18am)I prefer a needle for my tach (it is more accurate).

Analog more accurate than digital?  Umm...nope.  The The digital signal comes from the ECM via a sensor on the flywheel (example).  Analog is mechanical = parts that wear out and flex.

Yeah, the entire cluster is digital.  I would still want my speedo to sweep (digitally in this case) and tach to be a digital number (more precise).  I pay more attention to the tach than the speedo, so its only proper for it to be the first thing I see (if given the option).
Um, yep! Have you ridden the RC with its digital tach? Actually, check out your 929 speedo the next time you are on it. Sure, it is digital and it is accurate within the internal system. However, the display can't keep up with the input so your speedo (and the tack on the RC) tend to jump around a lot rather than flowing past all of the numbers. If I want 8,200 RPM on the 929 I can get right there. If I want it on the RC, well, I can get close but that is it. Since the RC counts in 250RPM increments all I can guarantee is that I am within 250RPM of 8,200RPM. Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post about what I meant when discussing the accuracy of the tach.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
googolplexu : Quote (lfg929 @ Aug. 20 2003, 11:18am)I prefer a needle for my tach (it is more accurate).

Analog more accurate than digital?  Umm...nope.  The The digital signal comes from the ECM via a sensor on the flywheel (example).  Analog is mechanical = parts that wear out and flex.

Yeah, the entire cluster is digital.  I would still want my speedo to sweep (digitally in this case) and tach to be a digital number (more precise).  I pay more attention to the tach than the speedo, so its only proper for it to be the first thing I see (if given the option).
So I supposed you'd rather have an idiot light as your oil pressure gauge rather then an analog one with an actual line going to it measuring true pressure

·
Registered
929 Posts
lfg929 : Um, yep! Have you ridden the RC with its digital tach? Actually, check out your 929 speedo the next time you are on it. Sure, it is digital and it is accurate within the internal system. However, the display can't keep up with the input so your speedo (and the tack on the RC) tend to jump around a lot rather than flowing past all of the numbers. If I want 8,200 RPM on the 929 I can get right there. If I want it on the RC, well, I can get close but that is it. Since the RC counts in 250RPM increments all I can guarantee is that I am within 250RPM of 8,200RPM. Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post about what I meant when discussing the accuracy of the tach.
Thats just a matter of increasing the processor speed/RAM in the ECM, as the GSXR1000 did for '04 and I sure as heck hope Honda follows suite. The tach on the 929 is digital, it just has an analog display. Yeah, Im not a fan of the tach on the RC, I concur with your complaints. The type of digital number display I am refering to would be a counter - as the 929 speedo is.

ND-

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
This is the way bikes are SUPPOSED to be instrumeted:

I'm no pshychology expert but I find that I can glace at the dials and get a good enough sense of speed and RPM without having to really 'read' them. Of course I can read them if I care to (like when I'm being tailed by the man).

Same thing with the temp. I get a really good idea about how happy the bike is without having to think about what 220F *means*. I glace down and go. OH.. hm.. she's getting hot!

Of course, YMMV. Maybe it's because I learned to ride on bikes with big round analog-looking gauges. That was a grip I had about the 929, I did not like the digital speedo at first but I got used to it.

Problem with that stuff, is it really takes up A LOT of dash space and the stuff is probably heavier than the LCD variants.

What I really want is a helmet HUD so bikes no longer need a panel.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I prefer analog to digital display because I cn read it at a glance. For example, on my 929 I can glance down and see my tach needle is at '9 o'clock' and know that's 5k rpm. But on the speedo, I have to actually look at it to see what the speed is. Now, I'm not saying I have to stare at it and contemplate what the display says, but to me it's easier to read a needle than an actual number.
Also, I like that an analog gauge gives you an idea where you are in a range. For example, you can see that you're 3/4 of the way to maxing out the gauge, rather than just some numeral.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Holeshot/ST - Very valid points and I tend to agree (taking a moment to comtemplate form versus function).  Sensing where something should be, versus calculating is much easier for the brain and allows other neuron reserves to focus on driving.

So...How about a digital display in the form of hash marks and needles?  Like the APEXi AVCR, but not nearly as crude -

·
Registered
196 Posts
To diverge from the Tach/Speedo direction,

I really liked the headlight on the naked version!  I know, it looks V-rodish, but I still think it's a nice departure from the round headlight that usually occupies a naked front.

Very cool frame too.  Could use a little more character to the swing arm though.  Now if they wouldn't just 'detune' it for street riding!  Let it keep the roaring upper end.  That's how a 600 is to be ridden anyhow.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Skully : So is that bike coming here?
Extremely doubtful, but you never know. Australia an Japan carry a similar lineup I believe. And knowing Japan has a few Honda's that dont make it over here, well...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Nice looking bike, maybe enough to prod Honda to upgrade the 919 to... a nekkid 929?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts