Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been sitting for 2+ years. Finally moving stuff aside to pull it out of the garage. I know I need to do a oil change, air filter change, and fresh battery. I’m not for sure if I should do a compression test, what do y’all think should be necessary in order to be getting the bike on the road again???

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Generally with a pressurised fuel system the petrol doesnt go off so quickly but to be on the safe side I would empty the tank and put new in,of course oil and filter, see how it starts, I would give it WOT for 5 sec when you try to start just to see if you have any faults come up , at the same time it will clear the cylinders, then maybe do your compression test once it has started and warmed up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally with a pressurised fuel system the petrol doesnt go off so quickly but to be on the safe side I would empty the tank and put new in,of course oil and filter, see how it starts, I would give it WOT for 5 sec when you try to start just to see if you have any faults come up , at the same time it will clear the cylinders, then maybe do your compression test once it has started and warmed up
So for right now just fuel and oil change. WOT while trying to start it to flush out cylinders. Cause a compression test is a task especially when you have to take the tank, air box, side fairings, injectors, then drop the radiator. I guess it’s best to do a compression test after the bike is warmed up, you are correct. I just don’t feel like tearing the whole front half of the bike down to check compression. 😒😒

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
So for right now just fuel and oil change. WOT while trying to start it to flush out cylinders. Cause a compression test is a task especially when you have to take the tank, air box, side fairings, injectors, then drop the radiator. I guess it’s best to do a compression test after the bike is warmed up, you are correct. I just don’t feel like tearing the whole front half of the bike down to check compression. 😒😒
No need for the compression test Nick, thought that's what you wanted to do but if it ran alright the last time you rode it ,it will still be OK, even the fuel could still be alright but that's up to you, it might even kick right up:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No need for the compression test Nick, thought that's what you wanted to do but if it ran alright the last time you rode it ,it will still be OK, even the fuel could still be alright but that's up to you, it might even kick right up:)
Thank you for the help. Just taking some precautions before a drop a valve or have something worse happen. Thanks again. If you have any more tips or pointers. Please lemme know. Thank you Sir.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Thank you for the help. Just taking some precautions before a drop a valve or have something worse happen. Thanks again. If you have any more tips or pointers. Please lemme know. Thank you Sir.
Not been Knighted yet Nick, so its Bill:LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I must have been back of the queue when they handed those out , but then again I have an excuse ..... I'm old:LOL:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
fluids of course, including brake fluid flush.

id def get the old gas out of the tank. if the tank was left half empty i would do my best to inspect for any rust build up in there. if the tank was full it wouldnt be an issue. might not be a problem even if it wasnt stored full, but we usually store bikes with a full tank to avoid the issue.

i would most definitely advise new tires.

assuming the bike was running before, an engine can sit almost indefinitely, so no need for a compression test.

i would give the bike a really good lookover. id look closely at the rubber hoses and wiring. mice love to create homes of motorcycles, and if they are hungry enough, they wont push aside a nice helping of main wiring harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fluids of course, including brake fluid flush.

id def get the old gas out of the tank. if the tank was left half empty i would do my best to inspect for any rust build up in there. if the tank was full it wouldnt be an issue. might not be a problem even if it wasnt stored full, but we usually store bikes with a full tank to avoid the issue.

i would most definitely advise new tires.

assuming the bike was running before, an engine can sit almost indefinitely, so no need for a compression test.

i would give the bike a really good lookover. id look closely at the rubber hoses and wiring. mice love to create homes of motorcycles, and if they are hungry enough, they wont push aside a nice helping of main wiring harness.
Tank is half empty. How do you go about getting all the old fuel out?
I have new tires, filters, battery, and new fluids.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
well, if it were me, i would use this

i have this tool and use it for quick and easy one person brake fluid flushes, but itll suck up whatever you stick the hose into. :)

i recently installed a new radiator in the ole minivan. when i did i filled up the coolant reservoir too much. so, i pulled this thing out, pulled the little end thats meant to hook onto the brake nipple off, pluggered it up to the air compressor and sucked some antifreeze out of the coolant reservoir with it.

if you buy one for this reason, youll have a nice way to do the brake fluid as well. :)

or a guess just find a small hose and syphon it out old school. gas doesnt taste good btw...

just an fyi though, this unit didnt come with a quick connect in the handle to hook it to the air compressor hose. i had one laying around. just didnt want you to go buy one on my advice, get home and realise it didnt include this and have to make another trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you
well, if it were me, i would use this

i have this tool and use it for quick and easy one person brake fluid flushes, but itll suck up whatever you stick the hose into. :)

i recently installed a new radiator in the ole minivan. when i did i filled up the coolant reservoir too much. so, i pulled this thing out, pulled the little end thats meant to hook onto the brake nipple off, pluggered it up to the air compressor and sucked some antifreeze out of the coolant reservoir with it.

if you buy one for this reason, youll have a nice way to do the brake fluid as well. :)

or a guess just find a small hose and syphon it out old school. gas doesnt taste good btw...

just an fyi though, this unit didnt come with a quick connect in the handle to hook it to the air compressor hose. i had one laying around. just didnt want you to go buy one on my advice, get home and realise it didnt include this and have to make another trip.

Thank you Mr. Kevin I’ll do my beat and locate one. Or order one which ever is easiest. But yeah that sounds like a plan. Any more advice, I’m all ears thank you for taking the time. 🤙🏼

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
np nick. if i think of anything ill let you know. if you run into problems come back and start a thread n we will see if we can help ya out. or come back and let us know you got it goin. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
np nick. if i think of anything ill let you know. if you run into problems come back and start a thread n we will see if we can help ya out. or come back and let us know you got it goin. :)
I will certainly do so. I’m still new to the motorcycles I mean only being out if school for 5 years lol soooo yeah. I thank y’all for having my back on this. If you don’t mind Mr. Kevin if I come into any trouble I’ll shoot you a message on here.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
feel free to nick. im no expert, but along with myself, there are a lot of years experience combined with the active members here on the forum. some things just cant be solved through forum interactions, but the beauty of the group is we have shared our problems with one another and all gain from putting our heads together to help each other out. in that way, we gain knowledge about problems we might not have ever experienced ourselves.

i look forward to seeing you get it going nick, and then preaching to you about wearing your gear and taking it easy on the big 1000cc. : )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a personal preference of mine, but on cars that have set a while I like to stop fuel delivery in some manner, and just crank the engine a few times and get oil circulating and get all the dried out bits "hydrated" so to speak. Before throwing the heat to them.

I'm just slightly ADD and OCD so I would drop the oil pan and clean it out because in my head there would be nastiness accumulated down there, but that's probably not necessary.

Good luck with everything!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have a question tho 🤔
Why in the USA they call the bikes “Hurricane” and in the UK region they are “Fireblades”
I’ve called them Fireblades my whole life. I feel like I’m doing it all wrong now 😅

1 - 17 of 17 Posts