Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this so maybe i can help someone avoid all the bullshit i went through with my fuel pump. My bike broke down on a ride through utah. I bought a new fuel pump from a company called fuel pump factory. I recomend them as they are solid. Anyway i had no idea what i was getting into when i started to replace it. There is a fuel pump and a fuel pump assembly. I replaced the pump and reassembled it and my bike still would not start so i ended up putting my bike in a uhaul to get it home. When i got back to cali i took my bike to roseville honda near sacramento and paid over 300$ for them to diagonse the reason my bike would'nt start. 3 weeks later they informed me that i had 50% compression in all 4 cylinders and major leakage but would'nt tell me where the leackage was. And told me i needed a total rebuild that would cost me 4800$ I was fuckin floored. I had the bike for only 7 months or so and when i bought it, it had less than 9k on it and was on pristine condition. So taking there advice i decided to rebuild the engine myself. As i tore it down and assed the parts i would need it became clear to me that evan if i did the labor it would still cost me around 5k in parts to do it right. Besides it was may and i wanted to ride so i found a used engine that was copeession tested and had sinilar milage as mine. That cost me 2900$ anyway i put the engine in and my bike would still not start. After endless testing i figured out it had to be the fuel pump. Easiest way to figure that out is starting fluid. If it fires with starting fluid there is only one thing left. The fuel pump. Your fuel pump can operate and sound like its priming and still not work. My 2007 cbr1000rr needs 50 psi to run. I could not find any diagrams of the fuel pump assembly anywhere and basically was at a loss. I bought a fuel pump rebuild kit wich unfortuantly came with no instruction. I fially figured it out after countless trial an error . first be really carefull when tighting the fuel pump assembly to the tank. There are 8 studs that will break pretty easy if you over tigjten them. I used 9 lbs of torc and that was enough. Where the fuel preasure regulator fits into the pump housing there is a rubber O ring. Make sure that the o ring remains seated when you stuff it into the housing. I finally realized that evan though it went in and felt snug the o ring can kinda of fold over. So make sure that it is seated correctly when put in the assembly. The other thing is where the fuel leaves the pump itself there is a ribbed rubber garmet that goes into the housing. Make sure that is all the way up as well as the fuel pump. The pump can slide down enough to let that garmet slide down. Both these things are essential to get the preasure you need to operate the bike. You can have fuel going to the fuel rail but if you dont have the preasure your fucked.. The fuel pump rebuild kit i bought came from a company called Qauntom. 40 or 50 bucks and i think 90$ i paid for the pump. It sure beats the 470$ they want for a new pump. Take pictures before you disassemble the dam thing because i have yet to find anything regarding the assembly of it. Good luck and hope this helps some avoid the shit i went through to fix my problem

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I went through similar when I decided to clean the area around the pump base on my F4i. Ended up costing me a new tank, fuel lines and months of head-scratching and fears of fuel accelerated fire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts