Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to cycling.
Thinking of buying 2007 Shadow 600 VLS Deluxe.
Looking for opinions on this bike.
Does anyone know the gas mileage this bike gets?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
For a few bucks more you can get the 750 and have a 5 speed. The 600 is only a 4 speed and could be an issue with freeway commuting however if the speed limit is your limit, it may do fine. There is also a much larger aftermarket for the 750 for goodies. I had a friend with a VLX and he rode my 750 and stated it was a completely different bike and well worth the few extra bucks. :twocents:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd suggest a used Rebel as a starter bike, it would be a cheaper initial investment, and gets well over 60 mpg. Take the BRC and once you have mastered the Rebel sell it (they hold there value very well) and then move up to a bigger bike. Good luck with your decision:thumb:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The 600 would be ok, however I would try to find an older one for less money than an '07.

Have you taken the MSF course? They probably have a bunch of Rebel's there for you to ride. I don't know how tall you are, how much you weigh, or how far you have to commute, but you'll probably find the 250 too small within a week.

The 750 was considered a HUGE bike years ago, but they are almost in "starter" territory now. It would probably be a fine bike to begin on. As a cruiser, the bike isn't going to get away from you power-wise. The biggest issue you'll deal with is weight. Again, there should be plenty of nice used copies out there.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight of a small cruiser. My 750 weighs in at a portly 500lbs and my 4'11", 110lb wife rides hers with great confidence. But her friend with her little 350lb Suzuki S40 complains about being almost blown off the road when a large truck comes opposing. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight of a small cruiser. My 750 weighs in at a portly 500lbs and my 4'11", 110lb wife rides hers with great confidence. But her friend with her little 350lb Suzuki S40 complains about being almost blown off the road when a large truck comes opposing. Just something to think about.
Agreed...I was just pointing out the biggest difference.

My father-in-law had a Yamaha 650 for years and only put about 2,000 miles on it. He loved riding, but the bike was just too buzzy. He was considering a Honda 750 when I brought home a VTX 1300 for him. He liked it so much, he put nearly 7k on it in the first year.

Weight on cruisers really isn't a big deal. I think my VTX 1800 is up to about 900lbs with the added chrome. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 600 for 3 months and love it. If I keep it around 55 mph I get around 65 mpg. Around 60 mph I get 60 mpg. I use it for a 15 mile ride to work and back every day. On the freeways, I do wish it had a 5 speed. For longer rides, I would probably get a 750, which has a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
guys this really useful, i need your clear answer on this question : can a beginner start with 750?? whats your advice??

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you think you can ride a 600 then a 750 should be okay. A 750 is a little bit heavier than a 600, but not a great deal heavier. If you are planning on putting in a lot of long distance highway miles, I think you would like the 750 better.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
See my above post about my wife. She's 47 years old, pretty small and as much as a beginner as anyone. The 750 is a great bike, we have 2 of them. She was a little concerned about the weight at first but once it's rolling, weight really isn't an issue. I bought one to teach her to ride and we both think it was the right bike. The 750 also had a little shorter seat than the 600 if I remember right and that was also a big factor in choosing a bike for her. She has ridden a couple of other bikes like the S40 and a GZ250 and always thanks me for putting her on the 750. Real little bikes are not usually the quality of a mid sized bike and you can definitely feel it while riding it down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been riding for going on 7 years and the Honda Shadow VLX was my dream bike ever since I sat on it in the showroom a few years ago. I sat on a Harley Sportster and I thought the seat was hard and uncomfortable. I like my Shadow and my girl likes hers as well. They get about 50 mpg, accelerates quite well, and sounds great. I would not buy any other bike, other than a 750 perhaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
guys this really useful, i need your clear answer on this question : can a beginner start with 750?? whats your advice??
I would advise a beginner to start off with a Honda Rebel. It's not too heavy and it won't be overly-powerful for a beginner. Bigger bikes for beginners means bigger spills.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would advise a beginner to start off with a Honda Rebel. It's not too heavy and it won't be overly-powerful for a beginner. Bigger bikes for beginners means bigger spills.

well i have a vlx 600 and i had a front sprocket made and it runs like it was a 5 speed

·
Registered
2 Posts
you know the vlx 600 is a good ride there just isnt many good parts for them like sprokets and gearing but i have mine fixxed now and its perfect for a long ride

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just my :twocents: cents as a new rider I am the owner of a honda rebel (started riding September 2008) I can say it is a very forgiving mc for a new rider. I did not know even the basic of riding took the MSF course now have over 4000miles on my rebel:shades: I have consider upgrading but may keep my rebel as it is a very good bike. It is great for around town and I guess it being my first bike*** btw by hubby has the honda shadow delux 750 I have sat on it and it feels a bit heavy for me. I think I could handle it but it may be that I'm use to how the rebel feels but I think I will get a few more miles before I get into something with my power. Besides if you are a new rider the rebel will serve you well and it does hold it vaule to sell when you are ready to upgrade.:thumb: If you like to exchange story or have any questions drop by

1 - 17 of 17 Posts