Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought an insanely cheap 08 1000rr with a blown engine. Too cheap to turn down. I've already got a new(er) 400mile engine on the way to me currently. The question is, once I get the bunk engine out of the bike, is it worth writing up and posting in the for sale section or all over craigslist and ebay, or should I just take it on over to the local aluminum recyclers? I've rebuilt an engine or two and I decided the swap would be more worth my time than doing the rebuild myself. Oh, and I like not having engine bits all over my living room, ha.

If it is worth something, what is a fair price for something like this? I haven't taken the engine out yet, or apart, but it has about 10K miles on it and I do know there's a hole in the rear side of the crank case right above the transmission and hence engine oil in every crevice of the bike. :rolleyes:

Just something I've been pondering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose its also worth mentioning that I have a set of forged black aluminum marchesini's that I'm replacing with the stock wheelset - What's a used set for an '08 go for these days? :idunno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, supercharged. :thumb: :rolleyes:

I'm not 100% sure what's wrong with the engine, as the dealership I got it from didn't really diagnose it since it was a repo with a bricked engine anyway. All I can really confirm is that the engine case has a hole in the side of it, I imagine a result of it breaking a rod and pushing it through the side of the case, but again, I haven't taken it out of the bike yet so I can't be sure this is all. Would it be worth more to part it out and sell the top and bottom ends separately assuming the top end isn't as messed up?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wish I was done with my XX conversion. I'd buy it if I was. I think my next project will be to stick a 1KRR engine in a 900RR frame (I have a 93 RR frame just laying around). As for price, I bought an 06 1000RR engine for a buddy off ebay for 250 bucks. It had been in an accident and case had big crack in it behind clutch cover.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If there is a hole in the case it sounds like something broke inside, Without a pic hard to tell. Does the hole look like it was punched in or out? by your description it sounds like it lost a rod bearing and the rod hit the case, Maybe fixable or pull it apart and get some cases. Worth a try selling

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.