Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the previous owner of my bike who somehow broke a rod in the engine (cheap fix for me :thumb:) also dumped the bike a few times and replaced both clipons with some that weren't designed for this bike; namely, when turning all the way to the left, the front brake lever hits the fairing stay, grinding the bike to a halt. Not something I look forward to having happen in the middle of a U-turn on a busy street.

I've found plenty of 04-07 clipons on Ebay, and based on what I've found here on the forum, they're 50mm. According to wikipedia 04-10 bikes all have the same forks, and I've eyeballed my forks with a tape measure at almost exactly 50mm (micrometer is being borrowed :crap:). My question is, can I mount and use 04+ clipons on my 08? Particularly, will they fit the diameter, and secondarily, should anyone know this, would they knock the fairing stay? :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after having eyeballed about a million photos of different clipons from different years on ebay, I've come to the conclusion that its not worth buying incorrect or cheap chinese aftermarket clip ons.

A lot of my decision had to do with adjusting the anonymous incorrect clipons that are on my bike currently. Most clipons have a 'hook' that seats in the underside of the top clamp on your triple tree, but the hooks on my pair are missing, most likely because they're the wrong clipons and wouldn't seat correctly. I loosened the clipons and moved them so that they wouldn't knock the fairing stay, but in doing so, the right clipon now hits the frame before the bump stop contacts - apparently there is a very specific angle and layout to the OEM clipons, most likely not duplicated in any other years or cheap 'universal' aftermarket clipons. I bit the bullet and bought some OEM clipons from ebay. In case this question ever comes up for anyone, I hope this helps. OEM is the way to go, or aftermarket clipons made specifically for this model and year of 1000rr.

Granted, without having seen a pair of 04+ clipons in person, I can't verify 100%, but they will fit the forks on an 08+, but it seems like you may have geometry problems like I have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally installed OEM clipons. Was kinda a pain in the ass. Hung the front of the frame from the ceiling, then took off the top clamp and swapped clipons instead of dropping the forks to change them. The 41mm nut on the top clamp required that we make a massive ghetto socket of welded bent steel just to it them off. Luckily the work paid off as the OEM clipons were about twice as comfortable as the previous clipons, and the geometry is such that the bars don't hit the frame like the previous ones. Definitely worth having. I can't believe i was toying with the idea of suffering with the other anonymous clipons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.