Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I have heard so many conflicting reports of different ECU's resulting in a power loss at high RPM's between the US and EU version's of the new Blade I was hoping that people would post their dyno results of their 2008 CBR1000RR.. Im sure some of our EU members that have the new blade has had the time to put them on the dyno.. So anyone that has had their new Blade on the dyno where ever you live post the results.. If you can upload the run that's even better.. Honda has said there are no differences in power or ECU between the bikes, so the only way to get real numbers is for people to post them.. :thumb:

[email protected],900 stock 08
[email protected],900 after two-brothers slip-on and PC3

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The only problem with that is different dynos read differently...it would be great if we could compare a Euro bike to a US bike on the same dyno.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure would be.. I have just been hearing alot of talk about a 15rwhp difference.. Honda claims [email protected] the crank. Which should equate to rwhp numbers in the 150's and maybe in the lower 160's.. I just wanted to see if some of our EU members who have the new blade on the dyno got numbers in the high 160's... I understand that different dynos read different with different conditions... Have you had a chance to get your new blade on the dyno smoothrideronli?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is dynorun on a dynostar

At first Standard bike 160 bhp at rearwheel

Modif with Rapidbike and laser exhaust not cat. anymore in the exhaust and no valve ! Result:180 bhp ! No High performance airfilter installed!!

Belgian bike

Cheers :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The only problem with that is different dynos read differently...it would be great if we could compare a Euro bike to a US bike on the same dyno.
Not true, the US bikes stop making power above 10,000 RPM. So don't look at the numbers but the power curve they make. It is not about the "peak" power as different dyno's, operators, temp, feet above sea level, etc. all make a difference but what the actual curve is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not true, the US bikes stop making power above 10,000 RPM. So don't look at the numbers but the power curve they make. It is not about the "peak" power as different dyno's, operators, temp, feet above sea level, etc. all make a difference but what the actual curve is.
+1

There is a very long thread with extensive details over at 1000rr.net discussing this very issue. Apparently the timing on the US models is getting cut at around the 10.2K mark while the UK version continues making power up to around 12.2K. Oh, and the curves appear to be identical up to that point. The US Models basically flatlines and feathers off down hill to the same redline as the UK models.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If it really is a timing curve and fuel curve issue then a PC with ignition module should be able to produce a decent fix:idunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it really is a timing curve and fuel curve issue then a PC with ignition module should be able to produce a decent fix:idunno:
It does, but should we have to spend $600 to get something that is probably a simple fix or that shouldn't have been in the first place.

Regardless, the 08 CBR is a blast to ride. I rarely hit those high RPM areas and don't need it as much as others. The midrange is monsterous. Add that to the 600 like handling and getting out of corners is a whole lotta fun.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It does, but should we have to spend $600 to get something that is probably a simple fix or that shouldn't have been in the first place.
I guarantee it isn't a "mistake" on Honda's part. I'm sure that if there really is a difference it is there for a reason. Most likely to meet emissions, noise, or some other legality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guarantee it isn't a "mistake" on Honda's part. I'm sure that if there really is a difference it is there for a reason. Most likely to meet emissions, noise, or some other legality.
Well, we have discussed all the legalities that could cause them to do this but there are no known laws that govern anything at such a high RPM. Plus, none of the other brands are affected. If it was a law, they would all have to abide.

Some are wondering that since some of the SBK teams had crank issues at higher rpms, that they are possibly limiting the power to try to maintain longevity. At this time, its anyones guess really.

If anyone is interested in joining the on going saga, head on over: 08 CBR1000rr is less powerfull in the us than anywhere esle! : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

EDIT: Beware, its a LONG thread. ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Two mag in the UK have tested all of the big 4's thousands cc sportsbikes and on the dyno they say as follows,all at the back wheel of course:-
08 [email protected],700rpm and [email protected],800rpm.
08 [email protected],900rpm and 77.5lb,[email protected],700rpm.
08 [email protected] and [email protected],000rpm.
08 R1. [email protected],600rpm and [email protected],300rpm.

Nail Mackenzie who by the way is a top UK rider hated the fueling of the blade,which is pretty well what i think.and recommends a PC 111 and full system.

Better get a bit of overtime in then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From Power Commander's web site, it appears there's an approx 10 hp loss on U.S. 2008 CBR1000RRs: http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/132/warnings/graph_1.jpg

Note the additional power was recovered above 10,500 rpm by using a Power Commander Ignition Module, which implies the restriction is related to ignition timing.

With the recovered power, the hp curve shape is similar to non-U.S. 2008 CBR1000RR dyno graphs.

It's tempting to blame U.S. regulations, especially emissions. However no U.S. emission standard applies at high rpm and wide open throttle, which is the only place the power limit exists. The controlling standard (outside CA), is called EPA FTP-75 (Federal Test Procedure, 1975). It states at WOT *or* high RPM there's no requirement for any emission controls whatsoever.

Likewise the U.S. EPA motorcycle noise standard (40CFR205.174) mandates testing at roughly 50% engine rpm for 1000cc bikes, so it's hard to imagine a noise standard limiting power above 10,500 rpm.

There may be some U.S.-specific regulatory reason, but it doesn't appear to be emissions or noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i dont know much about all this technical stuff, but i was searching on youtube last night and there was a white 1000rr8 that sounded waay different than mine and it was stock, so is mine... im pretty sure the us didnt get the white color scheme so that means the uk version is different, right? check utube and see for yourself.:idunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
i dont know much about all this technical stuff, but i was searching on youtube last night and there was a white 1000rr8 that sounded waay different than mine and it was stock, so is mine... im pretty sure the us didnt get the white color scheme so that means the uk version is different, right? check utube and see for yourself.:idunno:
Is possible that this person did the 5 min exhaust flapper mod. I permanently opens up the flapper valve in the larger exhaust opening and provides a much throatier sound and helps smooth out the hit at 6K RPMs. Its an easy mod to do: exhaust flapper mod : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

All in all, as has already been stated, the Dyno power curves are identical between the UK and US bikes all the way up to 10.2K RPMs. At that point, the UK bike continues building steam and the US bike puckers out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts