Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DN-01 is a concept model that developed with the aim of "creating new value" without being locked into any existing category of motorcycle. While the automatic model has been synonymous with the scooter and has made a clear departure from motorcycles, Honda presents the automatic sports cruiser "DN-01" featuring Honda's unique infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission, the "HFT" (Human Fitting Transmission). The DN-01 is easy to operate and offers much sportier performance than existing automatic transmissions. Delivering an exciting riding experience like no other, the DN-01 Discovery Cruiser offers adults a fresh motorcycling style.

Features

Low emissions 2-into-1 exhaust system with large, chrome-plated triangular shaped tailpipe
Infinitely variable automatic HFT (Human Friendly Transmission) offers smooth, efficient power delivery and sporty acceleration in three switch-selectable modes of operation
Powerful, smoothly dependable Combined-ABS braking with 3-piston front callipers
Honda Ignition Security System(HISS) prevents ride-away theft
Large-scale one-piece LCD instrument panel features wide-throw multi-segment tachometer and central digital speedometer readout
Slim, smooth and powerful 680cc liquidcooled fuel-injected 8-valve V-twin engine

Specifications

Engine: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve SOHC 52° Vtwin
Displacement: 680cm³
Frame: Double cradle, steel tube
Caster Angle: 28° 30’
Clutch: Automatic, HFT with internal hydraulic control
Power Output: TBA
Max Torque: TBA
Carburation: PGM-FI Electronic Fuel Injection
Ignition System: Fully Transistorised Electronic
Starter: Electric
Transmission: HFT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
Final Drive: Enclosed Shaft
Front Suspension: 41mm telescopic fork, 103mm Axel travel
Rear Suspension: Single Conventional Dampers with 7 step adjustable spring preload, 120mm Axel Travel
Wheels: 17” 5 Spoke Aluminium cast wheel
Tyre front: 130/70 ZR17M/C (62W)
Tyre rear: 190/50 ZR17M/C (73W)
Brakes Front: 296 x 4mm dual hydraulic disc with combined 3 piston callipers, ABS and sintered metal pads
Brakes Rear: 276 x 6mm hydraulic disc with combined dual-piston caliper, ABS and sintered metal pads
Fuel capacity: 17 litres (including 3-litre LCD-indicated reserve)
Dimensions: 2,315 x 820 x 1,115mm
Wheelbase: 1605mm
Seat Height: 690mm
Ground Clearance: 135mm
Trail: 114mm
Kerb Weight: TBA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is something about the DN-01 I like as well... Cant put my finger on it though!!

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really to my taste but if looks alone said how fast it went I imagine about 200mph!!! It looks like it was born to go fast!!!

Looks heavy too...

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking it might well be a bit*h to turn in small roads. But, given how there seems to be a lot of this style making an appearance at bike shows maybe it (or something like it) will be the shape of the future:idunno:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I saw this bike at the Cycleworld International Motorcycle Show this weekend here in Phoenix. It is definitely a unique ride. 680cc V-twin is an odd displacement. I'm digging the single side swing arm. Not to sure about the IVT. I like the feel of shifting my bike. But it does have some strange sort of appeal. I want one.

·
Registered
656 Posts
1.6m wheelbase and 29' caster, an engine that has proven to be a slug (this is an evolution of the same slug from the Hawk/Bros 650 and Transalp) and make a HD 883 feel like a supersport.
Honda has insulted motorcycling several times and we still bother with this stupid brand! They have the finances to win races, and they have the power to condemn anything that is not profitable for them.
I really feel bad that my RC has that chicken feather badge on it but I am willing to oversee it and call it an HRC and not a Honda :)

Glorified scooters for lawyers and bureaucrats, alongside the CB750A, the PanEuropean, the goldwing, and other two wheeled sofas.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Clearly the DN-01 is "motorcycle" for people who are afraid of motorcycles. It is a cycle-styled scooter. If my wife were ever to consider getting a bike (she won't even ride as a passenger on mine) it would be something like this.

I do take issue with your comment about the engine. With fairly minimal mods, the unit on my Hawk GT is quite spritely. It has some pleasing characteristics.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Have you seen one in the flesh?
Saw one this week at a Honda dealer.

Its not a scooter!!
Its far more like a cruiser that is trying to look like a 2050 model rather than 1950 model.

It wasnt at ground level, so it probably looked a bit bigger, but it did look big!

Says above "sports cruiser" and I guess that is a good description.
Not sure if I would suggest such a heavy bike for a new rider.
Specifications | DN-01 | Honda
Its 270kg (almost 600lbs)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Have you seen one in the flesh?
Saw one this week at a Honda dealer.

Its not a scooter!!
Its far more like a cruiser that is trying to look like a 2050 model rather than 1950 model.

It wasnt at ground level, so it probably looked a bit bigger, but it did look big!

Says above "sports cruiser" and I guess that is a good description.
Not sure if I would suggest such a heavy bike for a new rider.
Specifications | DN-01 | Honda
Its 270kg (almost 600lbs)
No, not seen one yet, only in pictures. I take it back about it being suitable for my wife (or any other novice) if it does weigh that much.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a couple that are friends of mine. She just got a DN-01 and he just bought a new 2007 VFR. She loves the thing! It's the same candy red as his VFR as well.

We went riding to Lynchburg a couple of weeks ago.

Nice ride and it's a cool looking machine. That 07 VFR is quite the looker too. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts