Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still getting used to my new Fireblade after a v-twin.

I find the throttle repsonse very smooth, but when throttling off quickly I find the transmission on my bike quite noisy. I was wondering if my chain needed adjusting, or is the Honda transmission noisy normally ? I only notice it on throttling off, not an overly pleasant sound. I hear it too if you are riding on a bumpy road where the bumps may make you throttle off unintentionally. Kind of a difficult sound to explain, almost clunky I suppose.

I thought I would ask you guys if this is normal before I asked my dealer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not great at explaining clunks !!

Sort of reminds me of a sound you might get with too much chain slack.

Funnily enough the sticker on the swingarm says 35mm of chain play. When you move the chain to check for slack, 35mm takes it too the bottom of the swingarm but it does seem within tolerance.

It may well be normal as I suppose you will always get tranny noise if you just shut the throttle on any bike. On my Aprilia with twin Akrapovics I coudln't here anyhting though !! :)

Hopefully somebody with an 08 will confirm this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it one single "clunk"? If it is I've noticed it too. This is my first Honda, so I figured it was the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have owned 3 Hondas. My 08 1000 is a little nosier that than the 954 or my 600 F4i when shifting. If your shifting down to 1st, I'm almost 99% sure it's totally normal.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have owned 3 Hondas. My 08 1000 is a little nosier that than the 954 or my 600 F4i when shifting. If your shifting down to 1st, I'm almost 99% sure it's totally normal.
Yes, Honda's are notorious for the neutral into first clunk, other then that Honda transmissions are fairly smooth shifting between gears.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it one single "clunk"? If it is I've noticed it too. This is my first Honda, so I figured it was the nature of the beast.
Yes mate, although I'm not sure "clunk" is the best description, but I gather you know what I mean.

I would say it is almost like it is the front sprocket spinning a bit to take up the slack in the chain. Maybe something to do with the slipper clutch ?? Who knows, but I am sure it's just a characteristic of the bike.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No shifting mate, just throttle shut off, probably not smoothly shut off either !!

And yes, mine makes a lovely clunk in to first. I expected that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
haven't noticed anything clunking when throttling off.

only thing i've notices is that occasional crick in the clutch lever pull due to the slipper clutch (which has been discussed as normal).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Splatty
do you mean the super charged kind of whine when you throttle off loudest in 2nd?
if so its normal although my 1st 08 did it to the extreme and suffered a gear box failure!!!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah mate........just a box characteristic me thinks.

Mine only makes a super-charger whine in second when I am throttling hard and she is trying to pull my arms off :evilaugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Splatty, I'm a first timer on a Blade (mines the '08 too) after having always had v-twins and I've had the same feeling. It feels like the chain takes up a load of slack when you throttle off, which is what I always thought was happening.

I had a Buell before this so it never had any chain slack stuff... however, it also never had any of the other things that make the blade so amazing to ride!

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey what about when your comming to a stop without down shifting, ie just pull in the clutch lever, and when your stopped you have troble clicking down all gears , and wont click down to 1st unless you slightly let out the clutch

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's normal. All bikes do that. it's the way the system is designed. When you apply throttle, the front sprocket pulls hard on the rear sprocket and takes up any slack. When you release the throttle, the front sprocket slows down and there is slack in the chain once more. This causes that scratchy noise you referring to. Bikers don't hear it because most of them have AM pipes that drown the noise. Play some more motogp and hear what it sounds like at 200mph when you leave the throttle button on our game pad. I think that's what you are talking about and not the clunking mentioned here by some members. You should worry if you hear a whining sound.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I personally like the sounds coming from my tranny, at least to me it makes for a more visceral experience, instead of only having the sound of intake and exhaust you have the transmission, adding its own music to an already intoxicating assortment of mechanical sounds...I might be wierd but the noises that this bike makes are 10 times better than most of the 1000's out there...although nothing touches the sound of a 1098 with a dry clutch. I also like how deep sounding the exhaust is at WOT in the upper RPMs, it doesnt whine so much as growls.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts