Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 60 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
This from the latest Australian Motorcycle News;

"A new Fireblade is expected from Honda this year and its extremely likely that it will be a V4 as it seeks to get the upper hand in the battle against 1200cc twins in Superbike Racing.
With looks akin to the offspring of the current Fireblade and a RC212V MotoGP machine, the new 'Blade will be the first mass production V4 superbike since the Honda RC45.
AMCN sources have said that the new "Blade will receive a completely new exhaust system, which will see it hidden in the belly pan. Similar to the Hornet 600, the new exhaust is likely to snake back and forth under the engine with the outlet just in front of the rear wheel.
It is also tipped that Honda will release an up spec version that will serve as a more competitive template for Superstock racing as well as a homologation model for world superbike.

The up spec machine will have top of the line chassis components and exotic materials and components-like carbon fibre bodywork, magnesium engine covers, lightweight internals and a close ration gearbox".

Interesting stuff and I'm sure there will be lots of speculation until something firm is announced! I for one, am up for an upgrade this year and will be watching the release very closely as to whether I stay on a Honda or not. So far, 50/50.

Stevo

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope the actual release looks better than the artist's rendition. The bodywork of the '06-'07 bike looks MUCH better than the artist's mental image. Not sure how I feel about the stubby exhaust. I think its ugly, but it could grow on me, so I don't wanna count it out. (Note: I still think the 'Busa is the ugliest pig-snout-looking thing to ever gather a following. In fact, it would be the ugliest bike PERIOD, if it weren't for the ZX-14 taking its title!) So, we'll see. One more thing... I hope they offer it in some form of yellow other than "canary".

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The other information I have been reading goes along the lines of "significant weight reduction"

·
Registered
181 Posts
last week in our local mcn rag they showed a picture of what was supposed to be the 08 fireblade. they claim it will use roughly the same engine not the v4. the exhaust will exit from the belly pan to centralize the weight.
there will be traction control similar to the one used on jt bike in wsb racing.
bike looked good but it was only inside info.nothing confirmed.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
if these exhaust patents are "real" then the 2008 cbr1000 will not be a V4. Looks like the undertail is history......

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
if these exhaust patents are "real" then the 2008 cbr1000 will not be a V4. Looks like the undertail is history......
Is it me, or does that bike in the patent picture look and awefull lot like a 954? Do you think they used that picture because the 954 is the archetype for performance bikes or just because it's the best sportbike ever built? Tough to say...
:woohoo:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
From what I have read your correct - they used the 954 for the purpose of illustration only.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
They'll move the exhaust, change the colors, maybe add a slipper and some kind of selectable mapping like the Suzuki (although I'd LOVE to see TC.)

If you want to see what it will look like, just go to the Honda website and look at the 2007 CBR600. :twocents:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definately will be changes. Look at the new R-1 (ecm,ycct glitches
not withstanding) and the new GSXR1K. Those are cutting edge openbikes.
While the current 1kRR is a terrific bike, and I may be about to replace my
VFR (just sold today) with another RR, would be my 4th. The house of
Soichiro needs an open bike the likes of the 07 600. Ive been tempted
by that new Gixxer. If you don't want to buy one, dont sit on
one. :nono: Down right comfy. All Im gonna say.

C'mon big red, I need a bike! :mad:

Will be interesting to see what they do with the VFR too..

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I still think that Honda will continue with the underseat exhaust. The belly pan exhaust is Suzukish. The Honda Hornet does have that exhaust though. With the 600RR new for this year, Honda kept the undertail.; it will be around for 3 more years.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I still think that Honda will continue with the underseat exhaust. The belly pan exhaust is Suzukish. The Honda Horney does have that exhaust though. With the 600RR new for this year, Honda kept the undertail.; it will be around for 3 more years.

I think they will keep it but I wish they would get rid of it. Like the others said it uses a lot of extra tubing and leaves no room for a trunk. I like the small GP style exhaust. I would also like to see the V-4 but don't think it will happen. I think that just to keep up with the others they will have to put a slipper clutch on it, maybe traction control, and separate high and low speed compression on the suspension, maybe adjustable ride height on the shock.

Anyway we should know in a couple months or so and then we can all stop guessing and then start talking about what we like and don't like about it for real.

·
Registered
46 Posts
seriously I dont know what the big fascination with a slipper is......

I bought into the hype and bought one for my 2006 1000rr and paid like 1500Aus for it....:crying:

But after I got it installed I was like .. whats the big deal... cause when I come in hot, my hand just feathers the clutch without me thinking anyway...so my hand does the job of a slipper....

The only reason peps want them is cause all the other companies have them...

In all honesty I reckon that with all the extra gizmos it make for a lazy if not worse rider..cause if it ever failed, the rider would not know what to do...

·
Registered
511 Posts
seriously I dont know what the big fascination with a slipper is......

I bought into the hype and bought one for my 2006 1000rr and paid like 1500Aus for it....:crying:

But after I got it installed I was like .. whats the big deal... cause when I come in hot, my hand just feathers the clutch without me thinking anyway...so my hand does the job of a slipper....

The only reason peps want them is cause all the other companies have them...

In all honesty I reckon that with all the extra gizmos it make for a lazy if not worse rider..cause if it ever failed, the rider would not know what to do...
Freddie Spenser was just talking about this on one of the last SBK Racers. His comment was that as the control systems on the bikes evolve, the bike becomes more forgiving and requires less finesse and precise control inputs from the riders. Roger Hayden made the same type of comment regarding the GP bikes, where he would go wide open throttle in the middle of the corner and could not do that on his SBK or he would end up on his head.

So on one hand, these things like traction control, slipper clutch, ABS an so on makes the bikes easier to ride and more safe for the less experienced rider, but on the other hand, the more experienced rider looses some connection to the bike. I guess the question is "which is the greater good for the masses"?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have heard rumours about a V5 floating about.
And it stopped being a fireblade when the engine went to 1000cc.
Last of the proper blades was a 954

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I didn't say that I cared about or wanted a slipper clutch. I said that they would probably have to do it to keep up with the other companies. A lot of people buy bikes based on that stuff. They have to be able to brag to their "homies" down at bike night about their selectable maps, passing switch, slipper clutch, etc. Maybe Honda won't give in. We'll know soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honda's security is tighter than Fort Knox, we will just have to wait till they want us to know. I have an 07 1000RR with almost 2000 miles on it and absolutely love everything about it. Put a Two Bro's mid pipe and Ti can on it, drove around town about fifty miles, put it on the dyno next day and it was perfect fuel burn, runs great, no tuning or adjustment needed.

41 - 60 of 597 Posts