Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 KTM RC8 1190 - Some people are saying this machine is the most exciting machine to hit the market in 2008.

Some quotes..

"the RC8 is simply stunning and for all the right reasons"
"Its engine is powerful and usable"
" handling shames Japanese and Italian superbikes"
"The RC8’s premier level of handling will flatter any riding style"

Specifications
Top speed 178mph
Power 152.2bhp
Torque 88.5ftlb
Weight 198.5kg
Seat height 805mm
Fuel capacity 16.5 litres
Average fuel consumption 45mpg
Tank range 145 miles
Insurance group 17
Engine size 1148cc
Engine specification 8v 75° liquid-cooled V-twin, 6 gears, fuel injected
Frame Tubular steel trellis
Front suspension adjustment Preload, compression and rebound damping
Rear suspension adjustment Preload, compression (high and low speed) and rebound damping
Front brakes 2 x 320mm discs, 4-piston radially-mounted Brembo Monobloc calipers
Rear brake 1 x 220mm disc, 2-piston caliper
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 190/55 x 17

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thats funny you bring up this topic, cuz I think this bike is great in all aspects. So the other day I was at my local dealer and when I go and talk to salesmen I like to act dumb to see what they know and how they react to certain questions. So I asked about the new KTM RC8 and if they were gonna get any in. His response was just pathetic as he said " oh you dont want one of those, they're crap" yet he knew nothing about them. I cant wait for them to come out here.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda flies in the face of all the feedback you read on the RC8. Your right some sales people are not up to scratch when it comes to product knowledge.... Makes you wonder how they mange to hold down the job. The question I have to ask is this. Why can't Honda deliver us a product like this? I'm pretty sure they would sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
IMHO opinion the RC8 is the best bike out of the new 2008 class.. It has more torque than any of the inlines and it handles much better.. The torque is also useable sooner, Its also as light or lighter than any of the other superbikes.. I'll trade my 08 RR for a black RC8 anyday..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
IMHO opinion the RC8 is the best bike out of the new 2008 class.. It has more torque than any of the inlines and it handles much better.. The torque is also useable sooner, Its also as light or lighter than any of the other superbikes.. I'll trade my 08 RR for a black RC8 anyday..
plus it's a good looking bike.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
MPG on the twin is much worse than an inline 4. With the gas prices soaring, this is a factor for many. The twin is also harder on rear tires so you'll be replacing them sooner.

Having said that, I like this bike. It looks killer in white.

·
Registered
199 Posts
MPG on the twin is much worse than an inline 4. With the gas prices soaring, this is a factor for many. The twin is also harder on rear tires so you'll be replacing them sooner.

I have to slightly disagree with the mpg issue. I have both an RC51(twin) and an R1(inline) and I must say the MPG all depends on the mods you have done to the bike. You always sacrifice MPG for HP. I run the Keihin flat slide carbs on the R1 and those just suck the gas right up. Minimal mods to the RC and the gas goes a lot further. Well maybe not a lot but enough to notice the difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2008 Ducati 848 or 2008 KTM RC8? Not that I can afford either one, and they are in a slightly different class but I would take the KTM if someone forced money upon me and then made me choose just one. I LOOOVE the way the new Duc looks but you just can't trust those italians and their build quality. ANd it seems almost anything germany (austria) makes is always just engineered so perfectly. Never really has any soul, just engineering at it's best.

·
Registered
946 Posts
WHAT! As an Italian I take offence to that! OK, half Italian so I'm only half offended. I thought Ducati had very high quality, their bikes always seem to be top notch with good attention to detail. There is HUGE price diff between the 848 and RC8. Personally I rather spend 13K on an 848 then 22K or whatever on the RC8. The RC8 price is supposed to be about that of the 1098S so way higher then a lil 848. I agree it is way more bike the the 848 but for what I would do with it $10 grand more is a bit much

·
Premium Member
37 Posts

Serioulsy - who cares about MPG, I ride for the fun - not the gas milleage. I can burn a tank of gas in one night!

·
Registered
419 Posts
:eyebrows:interesting reading here.....:soapbox:now how many of you have taken one for a ride...if you can get it into 2nd to start with? then take the thing to your closest Dyno and have them run it.....be prepared to be shocked, very shocked:crap:. Im not going to quote spec's go see for yourself, beacause all Dyno's run slightly diff. but if you are comparing apples with apples on the same one then you will understand.

As most of you are Honda riders "As myself" dont expect a reinvention on the ride, if you want a great ride in the twisties...try an 08 Blade.
When you eventually get it back to the dealer again if you can get it into gear or outa 2nd
dose not really matter - Im not saying there is a problem with the mechanics - but you will find out for yourself
park her in the sun then admire the beautifull way they have used different color oranges "or whatever color" to show of those fine lines, look a little closer...no I mean closer, yip dont scratch yourself on the bad finishes.

So next time your dealer says it crap...maybe listen and ask why.
As for the price, well in South African rands its R75 000.00 more than an 08 Blade, thats a Blade and a Half. I would rather spend the same money on a Finely crafted Italian machine.

As I mention guys dont sit and speculate, go ride, and come back to share your experiences with us Red Riders:smilierr:, dont spend your hard earned cash on a donkey that aint going to win races. Bikes are not an investment by no means.

Oh before I log off, if the first one dont change gear try a second one:rolleyes:

Im expecting to be flamed on this post - But what the hell throw it at me:bitchslap:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.