Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Triumph’s Speed Triple, first launched in 1994 and with sales figures fast approaching the 50,000 mark, is considered by its delighted owners as the best naked bike on the market and the ultimate in factory streetfighters.. And it just got even better.

In a virtually unheard of move, Triumph listened to its customers and modified the Street Triple in response to owner feedback, and while the bike looks almost identical to the original it now boasts a host of refinements. The 2008 model now sports, amongst other things, an LED rear light, a new sub-frame, Brembo front brakes, and anodised forks and handlebars.

New Features

High-spec Brembo front brake calipers and radial master cylinder
Restyled alloy multi-spoke wheels
Black anodised 43mm Showa upside down front forks
Tapered, anodised aluminium Magura handlebars
New rear sub-frame and redesigned bodywork
Redesigned radiator shrouds
Repositioned aluminium pillion footrests

Specifications

Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, 12 valve, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder
Capacity: 1050cc
Bore/Stroke: 79.0 x 71.4mm
Compression Ratio
Fuel System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection
Final Drive: X ring chain
Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
Gearbox: 6-speed
Frame: Aluminium beam twin spar
Swingarm: Single-sided, alumium alloy with eccentric chain adjuster
Front Wheel: Cast aluminium alloy , multi spoke, 17 x 3.5in
Rear Wheel: Cast aluminium alloy, multi spoke, 17 x 5.5in
Front Tyre: 120/70 ZR 17
Rear Tyre: 180/55 ZR 17
Front Suspension: Showa 43mm upside down forks with dual rate springs and adjustable preload, rebound and compression damping, 120mm travel
Rear Suspension: Showa Monoshock with adjustable preload and rebound and compression damping, 141mm travel
Front Brakes: Twin 320mm floating discs. Twin Brembo 4 piston 4 pad radial calipers. Radial master cylinder
Rear Brakes: Single 220mm disc, Nissin 2 piston sliding
Length: 2,115mm (83.3in)
Width (Handlebars): 780mm (30.7in)
Height: 1,250mm (49.2in)
Seat Height: 815mm (32.1in)
Wheelbase: 1,429mm (56.2in)
Rake/Trail: 23.5 degree/84mm
Dry Weight: 189kg (416lbs)
Fuel Tank Capacity: 18 litres (4.0 gal)
Performance (Measured at crankshaft to DIN 70020)
Maximum Power: 132PS / 131bhp / 97kW @ 9,250 rpm
Maximum Torque: 105Nm / 77ft.lbf @ 7,550 rpm
Colours: Blazing Orange, Jet Black, Fusion White

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
My mate has one of these but an 07 model. Always gets the coments.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not crazy about the floodlights bolted to the front. Not sure what I'd rather see, though. Maybe those projector numbers from the Ducati 999 mounted vertically.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yeah I'm with you on the floodlights, it looks like they were in a rush to finish off the bike. By all reports it's a great machine, does anyone know anything about Triumph reliability and servicing?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
agreed on the lights...with smaller lights or maybe even the same size just built into a cowl??? the looks of the bike would go up 10-fold

·
Registered
467 Posts
Blasphemy!! Those big floods are the last vestige of the Speed Triples true streetfighter heritage. The history of streetfighters, or nakeds as they are often called, came from folks crashing out their fully faired sport bikes. Not having funds to replace the expensive body plastics, owners would strip the bikes and make them road legal with any parts they had on hand, including spare car headlights. Big thumbs up to Triumph for paying homage to the roots of the movement.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Triumph Scoops Best Naked Bike at the 2008 UK MCN Awards

The event, held at the Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, saw Triumph Motorcyles scoop 2 great awards.

The prestigious awards evening celebrated its 12th year with no less than 18 highly sought after categories awarded to the industry’s best, as chosen by a panel of industry experts. Hosted by comedian, actor and lifelong motorcycling fanatic Alan Davies, the star studded ceremony also saw the likes of British Superbike Champion Shane Byrne, British superbike stars Leon Haslam and Cal Crutchlow, TVs Charley Boorman, plus Donington Park 125GP winner Scott Redding turn out to see who had been crowned the best in the business.

Triumph's first award was in the 'Best Naked Bike' category which was given to the Street Triple. Described as the most desirable naked middleweight motorcycle in the market, the Street Triple is a rebel with plenty of cause – lean, light and agile! Add the style and attitude of the iconic Speed Triple to the performance and agility of the award winning Daytona 675 and you have a truly impressive mid-weight streetfighter and a stunning looking contender that punches well above its weight on the road or track. The award was collected by Mark Heywood, General Manager of Triumph UK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well.... I don't have any issues with he headlights.... they are in keeping with "the Style". If you wanted a fairing then your looking for the wrong style of bike I think (IMHO)
HOWEVER........ that instrument cluster is hideous!!! i looks like one of those handlebar bags that "harley" ppl put on the front.

also... not a big deal.... but since we are being critical:devil::bitchslap:... i think they should have went the 'extra mile' and integrated the front master cylinder for a little 'cleaner' look on the handlebars.

Thanx for readin!

·
Registered
86 Posts
My superintendent has one he loves the bike but its been a bit of a problem child. He is in the process of figuring out why he is down one cylinder as we speak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts