Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, My name is Kasey, im just looking for a little advise because im a little lost. 3 months ago i bought a 09' 1000RR from a guy about 2.5 hours away. the gauge says it has 3,300 Miles on it and this thing looked clean, no wear and tear anywhere. So i ride it around, decided to buy it, then ride it 2.5 hours back to my house, everything was fine. then i decide to ride it to work and while at lunch im sitting at a red light and the idle suddenly drops from 1500 ish, to around 1000 causing it to chug a little, and starts spitting white smoke out of the exhaust, and it smelled sweet, not like oil. when i would ride between lights it would be fine, but at idle it would do it again. The bike didn't run hot either, the fan came on at 220 and on the highway it ran about 180 degrees. so i get it in the garage and strip the plastics, tank, and air-box off. I notice the coolant level was low, the reservoir was empty. I run the compressions and they were 170/170/170/80, so number 4 was very low. then i did a leak down test and with 80 PSI in each cylinder they were 100%/100%/100%/60%. so once again cylinder 4 was leaking, and it acted like a head gasket with the smoke, and smell. but during the leak down i could hear #4 leaking into the throttle body,past the valves. at this point im not sure what to think, im well aware the motor is going to have to come out, but im not exactly sure what exactly could be the problem. any insight from the gurus out there would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drained the oil after i did the leakdown test, i didnt note any irregularities from it. It looked fine, if anything it looked a little less thick than normal oil, but even thats a stretch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I work on engines and test them for a living, sounds like a blown gasket to me, bike has sat around quite a bit and not been used, ironically people bang on about low mileage bikes but in reality it doesn't do them much good in terms of seals and gaskets, its very possible and sounds to me like a head gasket leak.

Where I work we use argon ( I think ) and pressurize the coolant cavity of the engine to make sure there are no leaks, we have a testing tool, and I think this is what needs to be done, because you are losing compression I would really look at the head gasket, its possible ( and especially with the sweet smell ) that it needs replacing and is allowing coolant into the 4th cylinder.

If there none in the oil then its obviously leaking into 4th and being burned up.

TBH I think you answered your own question.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay, i agree, it just threw me off when air was leaking up past the valves as well, i also had the same idea that if its been sitting around so much the seals and gaskets could be dry and brittle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Jay, i agree, it just threw me off when air was leaking up past the valves as well, i also had the same idea that if its been sitting around so much the seals and gaskets could be dry and brittle.
Its possible I suppose the stem seals may need looking at but in all honesty if you have the time it would be better to change the head gasket then test again to see whats occurring with the valves, if anything.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My advice would be to take the throttlebodies off and inspect intake valves on cylinder 4 and get a torch in there to inspect the valve seats, It could just be a procedure of not having a good seal on 1 of the 2 valves. i.e sucked some crap in and its resting on the seat of the valve causing a poor seal.That is where i would start first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts