Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Savaas, I will have to give that a try, but from memory I would say my calipers do not get hot If i don't use the brakes. Have you tried to lift the front wheel and give it a spin by hand? you will always have a minimal amount of drag, but if the wheel stops spinning within half a turn or so, you have an issue. I will let you know tomorrow evening if my calipers get warm

·
Registered
43 Posts
Savaas,

that sounds reasonable. I will check my brake temp after work today and let you know what mine feel like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everybody,
here I give my feedback regarding the problem of the ABS, where I had the issue that after about half an hour of driving, with occasional use of brakes, at some point the brakes would do the following: After pulling the lever, the lever would come all the way to the handlebar (so, for a second I had no brake at all, which was very scary), and I had to let the lever back and re-apply it in order to have the brakes back. From that time on, the brakes would function as non-ABS, and the ABS light would flash on the monitor. When the brakes would cool down, the problem would get solved, until the time the bike and the brakes would get warm again and the problem was re-appearing. I could make the problem appear any time I wanted (just used the brakes heavily for a while, and the ABS flashing would appear).

So, after getting fed up with this problem, I followed the advices of Sswiss3000 and of Barry (thank you guys!!!!) that the full bleeding would solve the problem, and used the protocol of Sswiss3000 (!!!). I also put a thermal insulation on the power unit thermal shield and around the pipe that is behind the manifold (as proposed by the experts mentioned above). So, after many days of work (as I am totally inexperienced and this was the first time I did all this), yesterday I went out for a test ride. The temperature in Greece is quite high these days (36 degrees), so, it is the best time to challenge the system. And the miracle happened. The problem did not appear again!!! I drove for 5 hours, in the heat, with heavy use of the brakes, braking hard every 2-3 minutes, from speeding to stop. No problem at all!!!! My goodness. I couldn't believe it, since, before doing the bleeding, the problem would come up at every single ride. And now, after the full bleeding, the problem is solved. So, I encourage everybody that faces the same issue, to go for the full bleeding.

Million thanks to Sswiss3000 and to Barry.
See attached pictures showing the insulations (it may help to delay the time for the next required bleeding).
Cheers,
Savvas

·
Registered
16 Posts
All I would say is I admire your determination to bleed this and then the follow up work.

I had a 2010 ABS that gave 2 years of hell, from the flat battery/ECU issue right upto multiple total brake failures at high speed, just about every ABS issue known on this model was evident on my bike, dealer tried really hard to fix the thing, before I cracked and decided to trade it for a 2014 non ABS before it killed me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kenthammer, Sorry to hear the issues you and many others have had. As you can see below, I own two identical 2009 CBR1000RAs and both of them work perfectly. As long as I perform the full brake bleed in the spring before I start to ride them (or at least before the weather gets really hot). As for the oil consumption issue, I would say mine drink about 200 to 300 ml every 3000 miles (4800km). No problem for me. They now have 23 and 35K miles on them respectively.

As for the ABS system, it does present a bit more maintenance challenges than a non ABS bike, but I would never buy a bike (for street use) again without at least ABS. Before these bikes I always rode non ABS bikes, but it's nice to have that little safety net, just in case shit ever goes wrong. In a normal day of riding, I don't even feel that the bikes have ABS or linked brakes.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts