Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I picked up my new black 2013 1000rr. I broke it in somewhat hard and did an oil change at 100 miles. I filled the oil filter first and screwed it on and dumped just over 3qts in the engine. Before starting the engine the oil level was slightly above the MAX line on the dipstick. I figured the amount I put in was correct since the manual calls for 3.2 qts with filter change and I filled the filter all the way before screwing it in.

So I rode a mile around my area, turned the bike off, waited 2 minutes and checked the level. It registered on the dipstick but maybe just a few millimeters above the LOW level as the pic will show. Could I have messed anything up with the engine oil that low even though it registered on the dipstick?

This is pretty much where it ended up on the dipstick after the bike was off for 2-3 minutes. But after 5-10 minutes the level was about 3/4 to FULL. Any reason to be worried about the low oil level 2 minutes after shut off?

Of course I added enough oil after that but now I know to just put in 3.5 QTS.

A little paranoid about this...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Honda's guideline for checking oil is weird. Does that mean checking oil after its been sitting overnight will result in an inaccurate level? I mean at that point all the oil has surely returned to the pan.

When you catch the oil level at just the base of the stick, does that mean you have enough in the case that the engine can run without comprimise and you need to add soon, or does it mean you've ran an engine that had been running with insufficient oil to lube normally,

·
Registered
752 Posts
No worries unless it was a mile long wheelie. Also, check the manual I'd be surprised if it did not have an oil light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts