Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe it was the June issue of Sportrider magazine on page 46, that had a photograph of a set of intake bells for the ’14 CBR1000RR SP with angled inlets, along with the older style bells which were squared off with the throttle bores. I have made a number of attempts to obtain a set of the new style parts to upgrade my ’11 with and have struck out. I obtained a fiche for the SP and ordered the bells that were shown, but while they are a new part number, they are the squared off type and have the same overall characteristics of the bells from my ’11 with the exception of having a slightly smaller bore. I called American Honda and I was assured that the parts I had, were in fact the correct one for the SP, the photos I had not withstanding.

If I couldn’t get the parts I wanted, I decided to fabricate my own. Early in my career I was a Toolmaker in the Aerospace industry and had acquired a number of useful skills. I reverse engineered the parts from the photographs. I enlarged the photos to full size and using descriptive geometry and the known dimensions I could take from my original parts, worked out the dimensions and angles I needed to fabricate the angled bells and attach them to a set of the original stacks that I had cut the bells from.

I built a mold for the bells of the long and short stack and fabricated a pair of each from fiberglass. Using a cast I made from the insides of the stock stacks, I located the new angled bells and bonded them to the cut-down stacks I had, blended the parts together and painted them with a gasoline resistant epoxy paint.

I’ve over simplified the process here, but it took about a week to do everything. Here are some photos.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I believe it was the June issue of Sportrider magazine on page 46, that had a photograph of a set of intake bells for the ’14 CBR1000RR SP with angled inlets, along with the older style bells which were squared off with the throttle bores. I have made a number of attempts to obtain a set of the new style parts to upgrade my ’11 with and have struck out. I obtained a fiche for the SP and ordered the bells that were shown, but while they are a new part number, they are the squared off type and have the same overall characteristics of the bells from my ’11 with the exception of having a slightly smaller bore. I called American Honda and I was assured that the parts I had, were in fact the correct one for the SP, the photos I had not withstanding.

If I couldn’t get the parts I wanted, I decided to fabricate my own. Early in my career I was a Toolmaker in the Aerospace industry and had acquired a number of useful skills. I reverse engineered the parts from the photographs. I enlarged the photos to full size and using descriptive geometry and the known dimensions I could take from my original parts, worked out the dimensions and angles I needed to fabricate the angled bells and attach them to a set of the original stacks that I had cut the bells from.

I built a mold for the bells of the long and short stack and fabricated a pair of each from fiberglass. Using a cast I made from the insides of the stock stacks, I located the new angled bells and bonded them to the cut-down stacks I had, blended the parts together and painted them with a gasoline resistant epoxy paint.

I’ve over simplified the process here, but it took about a week to do everything. Here are some photos.

Seems like a lot of work.
Is there any benefit?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been able to ride the bike yet, because I'm in the process of changing over to waterless coolant and I probably won't be able to run it until next week. I doubt that I'll be able to feel any difference and I don't intend to dyno it either though. It was an interesting project that gave me an excuse to exercise some of my skills.

The magazine tests of the '14 SP noted that the power delivery was smoother, compared to the '13 model, so maybe I'll get that benefit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess what? I was finally able to get a set of the OEM slash cut intake stacks and in comparing them with the ones from my '11 model, the parts I got for the '14 US spec SP model, there are some significant differences. I'm in the process of putting the information together and will post it when I'm finished. It's very interesting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was finally able to obtain a set of the factory slash-cut intake stacks from a 2014 Honda CBR1000RR SP. Comparing
them to the stacks from the ’08 thru ’13 CBR (17215-MFL-670 & 17225-MFL-670). and the '14 SP US model stacks (numbers (17215-MGP-A90 & 17225-MGP-A90)
was a real eye opener. The part numbers for the slash-cut stacks are 17215-MGP-D60 & 17215-MGP-D60 and I had a devil of a time tracking down
the part numbers and finding someone who would sell them to me. I had finally tracked down a fiche at a dealership in Australia that had the correct part
numbers, but they wouldn’t ship them to me in the US. I tried having a friend in Japan get them there and he struck out as well. I had been given CMSNL
in the Netherlands as a source and the first time I tried them, I didn’t have the part numbers and they didn’t know that the numbers were either. Once I had the numbers,
I went back to the CMSNL site and was able to order them. It took them about three weeks for them to get them but they shipped them out right away.

Here are some pictures of the various part numbers. The first one shows a factory slash-cut, the slash-cut I fabricated and the OEM '08-'14 stack. The next picture
is of my airbox with the factory slash-cuts installed. The next one is looking down the bores of the factory slash-cuts. The last one is looking down the bores of the OEM
'08-13' stacks installed in the airbox. The difference in size is obvious.

Aside from the obvious slash-cut of the factory parts, each set has a different throat diameter. The factory slash-cuts are 49.5mm in diameter, the ’05 US
model stacks are the smallest at 38.5mm and the ’08 thru ’13 stacks are 42mm in diameter. The 08 thru 11 and the ’14 US SP stacks are tapered significantly
from the bell mouth down to the throat, but the factory slash-cuts are almost straight with very little taper. The factory slash-cut bell mouth is not elliptical as would be
expected, but is oval in shape with straight sides. The lower is lip rotated down and out to make the shape. I’d call those significant differences. I wonder what
Honda is up to with the really small diameter for the US parts. The same part number is shown for the SP and the regular US models on the parts fiches at
my local dealer. I’d also be interested in finding out what parts are in the air boxes of the '14 SP models sold here in the states. None of the dealers in my area got
one of them and I haven’t run into anyone with one to ask.

I have the real slash cuts installed and have re-mapped, because of the larger intake diameter. I have a Bazzaz ZFI/AFM so it wasn't too big a chore.The seat of the pants dyno says there was an improvement.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts