Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weekend, we've been hit with 16" of snow. I spent about 98% of my time in the Ram yesterday and today in 2WD. Yes, I did engage the front on a couple occasions to see how the truck handled, as I had yet to put the beast in 4WD this winter.

The punchline is, I got around fine even in the deep, slushy snow of this morning's commute.

The ass would slid a bit under power if I didn't carefully modulate the throttle -it is a 345 hp Hemi after all- but so long as I was driving prudently, I didn't have any issue whatsoever navigating on the morning commute.

As I puttered carefully alongside front wheel drive cars, I made what I thought was an interesting observation of other truck and SUV drivers: they almost universally drive too fast in the snow, as the four wheel drive capabilities of their respective rigs obviously provides a false sense of security.

I'm not gonna turn into a Birkenstock wearing anti-SUV tree hugger, but my love affair with big trucks continues to dwindle. After owning probably a dozen pickups since I was 21 yoa, his Dodge will most assuredly be my last full size truck or SUV.

The wife and I have talked, and if gas goes to $3 a gallon I'm going to take the hit now and trade out of the lease. Even at a very conservative 12,000 miles driven a year, at that price of fuel my Ram would cost me upwards of three hundred bucks a month in gasoline (essentially another car payment on top of my payment).

I'm beginning to believe that unless you live in the Northeast, are a contractor, or pull a trailer and need the added space for tools and gear, pickups are just about useless for the average commuter.

:twocents:

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
Almost everybody I see drives too fast in the snow.

But see? Told you their was nothing wrong with driving high powered RWD buggys in the snow. You just have to drive carefully. Just like with any other vehichle.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Chain said:
I'm beginning to believe that unless you live in the Northeast, are a contractor, or pull a trailer and need the added space for tools and gear, pickups are just about useless for the average commuter.

:twocents:
I'll agree with that, but I'm in the Northeast, and winters here, at least in NJ, aren't anywhere close to what they were when I was in high school and earlier. We just don't get the same amount of snow. If I didn't need to pull the trailer for trackdays, I'd probably have given up on pickup trucks by now, too (I'm on my third one, but first full-size).

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Mo Noyz said:
Almost everybody I see drives too fast in the snow.

But see? Told you their was nothing wrong with driving high powered RWD buggys in the snow. You just have to drive carefully. Just like with any other vehichle.
:wstupid: FWD never even existed until 1978-1980ish. Cars had to get around somehow for the first ~75 years. Gimme RWD ANY day over FWD in the snow...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Haha, I put snowchains on my '66 rear wheel drive Chevelle. You're too young to remember snowchains. :p I don't think anyone uses them anymore. Actually, there's not enough snowfall around here to even warrant them anymore.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
Haha, I put snowchains on my '66 rear wheel drive Chevelle. You're too young to remember snowchains. :p I don't think anyone uses them anymore. Actually, there's not enough snowfall around here to even warrant them anymore.
I remember my dad using them.

Funny story...My dad and a friend of his were driving in separate cars somewhere through the mountains back in the late 70's. They got caught in a snowstorm so they stopped to put the chains on. My dad was all ready to leave, but his buddy had trouble. Make a long story short, he ended up chaining his wheel to the axle somehow so his car couldn't move :D

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
ND4SPD said:
:wstupid: FWD never even existed until 1978-1980ish. Cars had to get around somehow for the first ~75 years. Gimme RWD ANY day over FWD in the snow...
Sorry, both FWD 5 spd manual cars I've had in the snow were tanks compared to BOTH RWD p/u's I've had.

HD

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Now detective, haven't we been telling you in your car hunt that RWD would be fine? You've found that you can drive in snow just fine with the typical archaic truck RWD setup, now test drive a current-tech IRS RWD with traction control. :nod:

As a side note, I went and drove an RL last night. It was that sweet light blue/silver color.
THAT was a mistake I tell you.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
Sorry, both FWD 5 spd manual cars I've had in the snow were tanks compared to BOTH RWD p/u's I've had.

HD
Yeah, but you can't drive.

Nancy said:
As a side note, I went and drove an RL last night. It was that sweet light blue/silver color.
THAT was a mistake I tell you.
How does it compare to the S60R? Maybe you should drive them back to back.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
What S60R? :p

Honestly, without driving them back to back and thinking back to the S60R - the Vulva had more of a sporty kick to it, but the RL just flat drives nicer in every way.
Plus it's not a Ford.

Sorry, Chain. Threadjacks happen.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
You're too young to remember snowchains. :p I don't think anyone uses them anymore. .
Try comming out west. Chains are used all the time in the mtns out here. :D Was kind of foreign to me comming from MN where we got a crap load of snow like 9 months of the year and never using chains on the road (only for going across lakes ice fishing) and comming out here and seeing people required to use them on a plowed road.:rotfl:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Thing about a truck is, for those few times a year when you actually NEED one, you can always rent.

There are also small 4 cyl trucks that will do just about anything the big pigs will, albeit on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
630 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
Thing about a truck is, for those few times a year when you actually NEED one, you can always rent.
There are also small 4 cyl trucks that will do just about anything the big pigs will, albeit on a smaller scale.
When you own large property that you maintain yourself and you have several animals, your perspective changes.

However, you guys got me thinking. So I'm dumping the Suburban and packing the six dogs into a new mini. What ya think? Clowns beware - I'm a comin'.
:hi:

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Chain said:
As I puttered carefully alongside front wheel drive cars, I made what I thought was an interesting observation of other truck and SUV drivers: they almost universally drive too fast in the snow, as the four wheel drive capabilities of their respective rigs obviously provides a false sense of security.
:nod: They don't realize that the problem isn't going, it's stopping.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
MrX954 said:
I live in the northeast and never want to own a truck again...

..."thats the beauty of all-wheel drive" :)
Yep same here, but Mtn. west rather than northeast. My Sierra Denali was a great ride - for a truck - and that Quadrasteer made it by far the easiest 4 wheeled vehicle I have ever parked, even though it was a couple hundred feet long, but I have absolutely zero need for a truck and don't see any reason I ever will again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts