Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( this bike is running so so rich! it smells very strong and there is carbon building up on the outside of the pipe and i only have 350 miles on it. something isnt right so i called the dealer and they said bring it down. I did and at first i thought i was only being a whiney picky bitch but sure enough the head mechanic said i was right, so i had to leave it. I am so bummed out. I hope they find something and fix it for free. stupid pipe voids some of the warrenty so my fingers are crossed. this is my 6th bike and i have never had one this rich.they said they have put many pipes on and have never had this problem so we shall see.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
damn sorry to hear it man. Hope they get it fixed quick for ya.

·
Registered
502 Posts
IAM said:
:( stupid pipe voids some of the warrenty so my fingers are crossed.
The pipe should not void the warranty at all. This sounds like an ECU or injector issue. What pipe was installed, and who installed it?

A friend of mine installed a full Arrow system a while back and I noticed the distinct smell of coolant while standing next to his bike.

I look around and find the trickle, trace it up to where the coolant hose coming out of the lower left of the radiator is not only touching the #1 pipe, but has practically welded itself to it. A pinhole leak had started, and was looking to become much worse very soon. :eek:

Good thing this was discovered in his garage, and not while riding it. He installed the pipe himself. I told him I'd fire the mechanic...... :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Latebraking said:
The pipe should not void the warranty at all. This sounds like an ECU or injector issue.
X2.

This is always a huge topic on the cruiser forums. Do a search on VTXOA.com (Honda VTX Owners Association.) You should be able to find what is and isn't covered as far as after-market pipes, peoples experiences with dealers, etc... Last thing I remember reading is that it should be covered unless it's proven that the pipe caused the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the dealer install the Two Bros carbon X2 before i picked it up. Had 1.2 miles on it when i did. I also had them install the carbon Lockhart Philips no mod sliders, which are nice ( let me know if i am wrong or anything i should know about those sliders). This bike has been rich since day one. when he first looked at it he couldnt find the "rear flapper " cable...he was moving something near the adjustment for the idle. i said do i need to leave it tonight or will i damamge anything..he said " well your plugs are 32$ each soooo...." i left it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
IAM said:
" well your plugs are 32$ each soooo...." i left it.

The OEM plugs for my VTX are over $30 apiece at the dealer too, but most people seem to switch to something else when it's time to replace them.

Someone else here will know about plugs for your bike, but there should be plenty of aftermarket alternatives that cost half that much or less. I don't know, maybe a slightly hotter plug would help the set-up you have :idunno:

The factory shop manual should have the specs for what plugs you can run. If you don't have the book, register with HRC online and you should be able to pull down maintenance information directly from there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
IAM said:
:( this bike is running so so rich! it smells very strong and there is carbon building up on the outside of the pipe and i only have 350 miles on it. something isnt right so i called the dealer and they said bring it down. I did and at first i thought i was only being a whiney picky bitch but sure enough the head mechanic said i was right, so i had to leave it. I am so bummed out. I hope they find something and fix it for free. stupid pipe voids some of the warrenty so my fingers are crossed. this is my 6th bike and i have never had one this rich.they said they have put many pipes on and have never had this problem so we shall see.

I had a similar problem on mine.. Wound up replacing my plugs with less than 100 miles on her.. and then after that was straightened out, I had a starter relay go out on me while I was out riding.. That was a pain...

But its all better now, and I am happy.. :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
DUX said:
The OEM plugs for my VTX are over $30 apiece at the dealer too, but most people seem to switch to something else when it's time to replace them.

Someone else here will know about plugs for your bike, but there should be plenty of aftermarket alternatives that cost half that much or less. I don't know, maybe a slightly hotter plug would help the set-up you have :idunno:

The factory shop manual should have the specs for what plugs you can run. If you don't have the book, register with HRC online and you should be able to pull down maintenance information directly from there.
I believe mine were $25 at the dealer, which I paid cuz I wanted my bike back in a hurry.. But, I do believe someone posted a link on here before which had the same plugs, or similar replacements for around $8 or so.. I cant remember the exact cost, but it was a deal...

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I definetly trust Kurt with the stuff. He's been working there since his late teens I believe (25 years or so). He's been there longer than almost anyone there. I'd trust him to fix anything.

The site with the sparkplugs for cheap is www.sparkplugs.com

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
:nono: Kidder's not a troll - good guy, he's been around for awhile. :thumb:

I'm just glad it wasn't one of our Suzukis that broke. We'd never hear the end of it.

;)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Chain said:
I'm just glad it wasn't one of our Suzukis that broke. We'd never hear the end of it.
:rotfl:

It is so funny I have been cruising the gixxer forum as well as the R1 forum and they all say the same thing about the others and how much better the "insert Bike"

The reason I like this place the most is the site policies that are in place and the great knowledge that is shared

Conq, I just got to say this is a great place you created :thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just spoke to the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong so now they are putting a power commander in it and try that. Oh boy looks like I am gonna hold off on the new Corsair.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chain said:
:nono: Kidder's not a troll - good guy, he's been around for awhile. :thumb:

;)

yea was just trying to be funny...i had no come back cuz my new bike is down and so isnt my pride :( and looks like my wallet too!

·
Registered
45 Posts
IAM said:
yea was just trying to be funny...i had no come back cuz my new bike is down and so isnt my pride :( and looks like my wallet too!

I know how that feels when my starter relay went with only 200 miles or so on my bike.. HHmmm. Stranded on my dead Honda riding with a bunch of friends on Gixxers.. Lets just say I heard some BS.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
496 Posts
You put a pipe (two mother's no less) on a liter bike w/o a powercommander and then wondered why it was running rich? :clap:

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
IAM said:
Well, I sincerely hope you're back riding again soon.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts