Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
Picked up a used (26K miles) 2001 cbr600f4i runs strong, doesn't seem to have any issues - except one...in every gear the motor seems to make an excessive amount of noise in between 4000 and 5500 rpm. It doesn't seem to affect performance, just makes a mechanical noise that seems like it might be following rpms. It also seems to be more prevalent if I'm on throttle hard and then back off quickly...
Sometimes I can pussyfoot my way through the revs and it won't make noise, but -- who wants to do that :thumbd:

Any thoughts here? Thanks in advance for the expertise...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I wondered...should I replace it with the stock one (i'm always of the thought that stock is generally better)..or should I use the manual one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They say that the latest revisions fixed the rattling noise, but as far as I know they still tend to go bad. I personally have an APE manual one. Once properly adjusted, I just take it in to my mechanic to retighten whenever I have a major service, which is every 16000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get the valve motor and cable checked. If it's moving violently instead of smoothly (components, wiring or CDI problem), knocking can result. Overly stiff reeds can also cause the problem.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was the cam chain tensioner. replaced it with a new honda part...runs like a dream now. thanks to all for advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey danandkasha,

I realize I am reviving a thread, but I'm looking at replacing my cct lifter as well.. if thats what you meant. Is this something I can do without taking the top end apart? Will the lifter just pop out when i take those bolts off and then I can take it off/ reprime it or replace without playing around with the insides? I've got an f2 but I imagine this would be similar.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nevermind. I found the How-to thread for the f4i. My guess is that it should still apply. If my noise is coming from the right side of the bike, when i am sitting on it. I was hesitant as to whether it is valves or the cam chain... but i guess if it was the valves the sound should be spread out over top end?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts