Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i attempt to up or down shift into 4rth gear I am rewarded with a nasty rattling sound/vibration that carries through the shift linkage. I'm not sure why she does not want to go into 4rth at any rpm.. any best guesses?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Best guess would be a bent shift fork.
Can you skip over fourth without any trouble?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx bladeracer.. I can skip over 4rth without a problem in both directions.. When I accidentally hit 4rth things become a little unnerving.. almost sounds/feels like the tranny is trying to tear itself apart!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yes, it's the dogs banging together but not getting quite close enough to mesh.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if I need to change all three of the shift forks at the same time, or just the offending one?

·
Registered
393 Posts
depending on how many miles are on your bike and if its ever been changed before, I would change the whole thing. Then, you won't have to worry about it for a long time to come. If you only change bits or pieces, then you are risking having some of the originals go bad on you and you'll end up dumping more money into it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thnxs Rokitt51, are you saying that I should replace both the mainshaft, countershaft, all the gears? The bike only has 20k on it.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Does anyone know if I need to change all three of the shift forks at the same time, or just the offending one?
When you get it apart you can check all the shift forks for wear and replace whichever are worn or bent.
Also inspect the gears and replace any with worn dogs or slots.
4th may well have the dogs rounded off if it's been playing up for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts