Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I am using 180/55 rear for a long time maybe it would be wise if a swich to a narrower rim too (5 1/2 instead of a 6). Any feedback at all?

Thanks
s..

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Don't know where you would find one that wouldn't require a decent amount of fabrication to fit . . . I also doubt the difference would be worth it, as just about every tire manufacturer these days is designing the 180s to go on 6" rims just fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
abtech said:
Don't know where you would find one that wouldn't require a decent amount of fabrication to fit . . . I also doubt the difference would be worth it, as just about every tire manufacturer these days is designing the 180s to go on 6" rims just fine.
Ab I agree with that...but there was a relative post stating that the Pirellis (and the Metz) due to their compount/construstion don't work properly on these dimensions.
No dramas so far with the 180, works and feels fine

s..

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Haven't heard anything bad about running the 180 on the 6" rim. Everyone is doing that and having excellent results!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i'm getting ready to put my pilot powers on my 6" rim. and i ordered a 180. many racers have told me they do this all the time. Just dont' ever put your 190 tire on a 5.5" rim.

I believe to get the 5.5" rim on all you'll need is the proper spacers and peices to go with the 5.5" rim. its not that hard, atleast not in the suzuki world it wasn't

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank's for the input!

s..

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
gimpsta said:
i'm getting ready to put my pilot powers on my 6" rim. and i ordered a 180. many racers have told me they do this all the time. Just dont' ever put your 190 tire on a 5.5" rim.

I believe to get the 5.5" rim on all you'll need is the proper spacers and peices to go with the 5.5" rim. its not that hard, atleast not in the suzuki world it wasn't
I would assume you are sourcing the F4i or 600rr as the 5.5" rim in your example. If so, you'll need to fabricate a caliper hanger, possibly a new custom sized rotor and axle retention pieces . . . All this before you start thinking about spacers. Suzuki's share many more parts across their model line than Honda or Yamaha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts