Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Bead Breaker for Motorcycle Tires - webBikeWorld

Internet BMW Riders - DIY $5 Bead Breaker that works every time ... quickly

I was looking into getting set up to change my own tires and came across this. Its genius, I have see some home built bead breakers but this is just so simple.

You can make a tire balance with using the bikes axle and making a stand either out of two chairs or 2x4 if you want to be elaborate.

All you need is a compressor and tire irons.
Yep, I've seen a few bumpers and more than one door panel get reamed while watching this technique in use. I also love all of the cool splinters it leaves in the side of the tire and stuck to the goo inside the rim . . .

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
It actually looks like something Godfather would sell and not stand behind when it failed.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
About every semi-serious sport touring guy in the country has built a version of that in his garage at one time or another. It's usually screwed to the wall using a barn door hinge. A bit neanderthal, but they actually work pretty well...:cool:

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Oh man... talk about a bad idea to break the bead. That's rocker panel damage waiting to happen. I thought you were going to show us a useful tool.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man... talk about a bad idea to break the bead. That's rocker panel damage waiting to happen. I thought you were going to show us a useful tool.
I used it :idunno:

worked for me. I slip the board under my trucks step rails no issues so far. It does take some practice though to get the angle right.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
it look alot easier than spoons...

·
Registered
461 Posts
The webbikeworld method is the best!
Well, when the local stealer wants $45 just to mount a tire, the 2x4 method is the best.
I usually have to use a 4x4 for the lever if doing the back tire.
The only real problem is if you don't get the fulcrum in the right place, it won't work at all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here, its $40 to mount a tire on a rim plus $15 to balance it.
This is if I take the wheel off the bike and take the shop just the wheel and tire. Its another $30 per wheel if the shop has to remove and reinstall the wheel on the bike.

Blue

Why do that when it's $10 to get her mounted and balanced by someone else?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts