Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the diffrence in a 530 chain and 520? Im going to be ordering a new chain and sprocket and i was wanting to know what the diffrence was on those two! Also any adivise on a certain chain or sprocket would be nice> Thanks hondabro

·
Registered
240 Posts
Look at this link. A 520 is narrower, and therefore lighter. However, there will be less area on the rollers taking the force, so they will wear slightly faster. I'm not sure what the weight difference is. Compare the tensile strength of the different chain, the higher the better. I just bought a DID x-ring, haven't installed it yet.
For sprockets, that depends on what you are looking for. Front sprockets are pretty much all the same. Rear sprockets, you can go with steel or aluminum. If you go aluminum, make sure you get a hard anodized one. If it isn't anodized, it will wear VERY fast. If you are diligent with chain maintenance, a hard anodized sprocket can easily last 8000 miles. Steel will last longer, but are slightly heavier. Would you notice the performance difference between steel and aluminum, probably not. I just bought one from Supersprox. It has a aluminum center and steel teeth, maybe the best of both worlds. Looks the business too.
Hope this helps a bit.

520/530 Chain Identification - CycleChaos

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
good explanation skater. unless you are going to be an avid track rider i wouldn't bother with a 520 conversion. stick with the 530 for strength and wear

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a RK 520 coversion kit on mine and it has held up well,seems to spool up a little faster by the seat of the pants o meter,just less weight to move

·
Registered
152 Posts
520 is a good set up..went to a regina kit awhile back..no issues..slightly less weight...just remember 530 sprockets wont fit a 520 chain..plus I think there a bit more choices for gearing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Info, also i didnt say im riding on a 02 cbr954rr. i love the bike!
Do any of you guys know what the stock chain size was? 520 or 530

Thanks again> hondabro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hondabro - I have a 02 954rr as well. I did a 520 conversion (RK X chain and Vortex sprockets) with -1 in front and +2 in the rear aluminum. I lost some top end but I don't spend much time there on the public highways... On the flip side I gained some OMG acceleration off the line and through every gear.

It really depends on what kind of riding you are going to do and how much you want to spend or how often you want to spend it. Pay attention to what they said up top, it will wear out faster. However, the theory is lighter being better. That is to say, the engine uses less power turning lighter chain and sprockets so the power saved is transmitted to the pavement vs being lost turning heavier chains and sprockets.

Also keep in mind that changing the teeth on your sprockets will also throw off your speedo, but as luck would have it they make a device to correct that.

Cheers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just went back to 530 myself actually. 520 does add a 'hair' of performance but nothing you can't get back with a gear change. I just got tired of replacing chains and (alu) sprockets with every back tire. Depends how you ride I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts