Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking for a 520 kit for my 02 954. I want to keep it close if not stock. Any good places I should check?
Thanx.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Try the site sponsors. They are located in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Be careful of the ones on e-bay, they are cheaper for a reason. Cheap chains cost you big time in the long run.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
No need to buy it as a kit, unless the brands are what you want and the price is actually cheaper. You can buy the chain and sprockets individually.
If you're wanting to stay as close to stock as possible, stay with OEM gearing and go with steel sprockets.
Personal preference would be AFAM sprockets and DID chain, but there are other quality brands as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BDA116 said:
No need to buy it as a kit, unless the brands are what you want and the price is actually cheaper. You can buy the chain and sprockets individually.
If you're wanting to stay as close to stock as possible, stay with OEM gearing and go with steel sprockets.
Personal preference would be AFAM sprockets and DID chain, but there are other quality brands as well.
Ok - I will go that way. Thanx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
New954RRider said:
i got vortex sprockets and rk x-ring chain from sumofallparts.net
I also have a 03 954RR!!:thumb: I used to have a 02 954RR till I went down and total it:( My question; My 02 used to be able to go all the way up to 90mph, or close to it, in 1st gear...I loved it!!....and all it had was a Akropavic bolt-on and nothing else as far as I am concerned...But my 03 now sounds like its going to blow up at about 45 to 60 and I find myself shifting way to quick, I feel like I am on a 600...Can you give me some feedback on how your bike was before you changed the sprocket and chain please? Also, I am not sure how this sprocket & chain thing works...stuff like 1 up or 2 down, can you help me out understanding this, thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
RRWANTR said:
Is this 03 used? If so, the previous owner probably put different gearing on it....
This is a used 03, got it about a month ago. But he never mentioned anything about making any changes other then the 2 bros racing bolt-on, everything else is suppose to be stock. Now that you say that, 954RR's are suppose to go that fast stock?...meaning up to almost 90mph stock! If so I have some questions that need answers from this dude, thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
MocosoLoco said:
This is a used 03, got it about a month ago. But he never mentioned anything about making any changes other then the 2 bros racing bolt-on, everything else is suppose to be stock. Now that you say that, 954RR's are suppose to go that fast stock?...meaning up to almost 90mph stock! If so I have some questions that need answers from this dude, thanks for the feedback!!
954 are supposed to have a very tall first gear, now that i have changed the sprockets and chain there is a big difference and most noticable in the lower gears. i went with -1/+1 because i didnt want to loose too much off the top end, you will also need a speedohealer because the milage and speedo-meter will be off by a few mph. yes i do find myself going through the gears much faster, thats just because i am able to get up to certains speeds and rpms much faster now, then compared to stock.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
is -1/+1 pretty close to stock. I mean i want be as close as i can get - i hate to lose top end. But i do want to change it from stock. so is -1/+1 the best route.
EDIT
I found some other threads and a spread sheet.
And on Knee draggers . come i got some info.
So is stock 16/43??? (according to kneedragers)
so -1/+1= 15/44 = final gearing of 2.933
compared to 16/43 = final gearing of 2.688
Thank fellas im ordering somehting tonight - woot!

·
Registered
207 Posts
gr0undz3r0 said:
Great Thanks
Just ordered from kneedraggers.com
Good price.
did you get the whole kit or just sprocketswanting to find out if i change the gearing for example 15\44 sprockets only, can i use the same stock chain
16\43 thanks for the help plan on getting it done on my 929 bought just bought a chain don't really plan on buying a other one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For more general performance information about 520 conversions click here:
This fits all of the 929 and 954 models and increases power response across the rev range. Dyno tests prove that you can reach peak torque and HP an average of .4 seconds faster than stock!
Stock Sprocket sizes are 16 tooth front 43 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 2.69 The optimum ratio is 15 tooth front 45 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.00
will it loose top speed ??? is it worth having this kit ?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
For more general performance information about 520 conversions click here:
This fits all of the 929 and 954 models and increases power response across the rev range. Dyno tests prove that you can reach peak torque and HP an average of .4 seconds faster than stock!
Stock Sprocket sizes are 16 tooth front 43 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 2.69 The optimum ratio is 15 tooth front 45 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.00
will it loose top speed ??? is it worth having this kit ?
What are you using the bike for???
If you're gonna use it on a freeway, I'd say NO!
If you're gonna use it on a track, I'd say, test it to see if that is what you want at the track you are on.
If you're gonna use it for city riding, I'd say sure, why not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts