Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have once more changed my mind on what mod I want to do first. A damper is set in stone, saving for that right now, but i came across some good feedback on the 520 conversion since the stock gearing is a bit overdone in 6th, so my question is this: What is more worth it? PCIII or 520?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket pipe on it already?
Either way I would say the PCIII but I haven't done a 520

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I would also go with the PC. The little bit of weight savings from the 520 kit is really not needed. The sprockets supposedly wear quicker as well as the chain as opposed to the stock 530 kit. The PC can give you a lil better mileage out of ur bike. Also make response a lil better. Plus you can play with it more than the sprockets :D .

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have a two bros slip on. So what about the rumored gain in acceleration? Is weight loss really the only advantage?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
If you already have a muffler I'd go with the PC but if it's fueling just fine as is then go the 520 route.
On the other hand, if your current chain and sprockets are good for another few thousand miles I wouldn't bother changing them yet just to go to 520.
You'll save around 1000gms (about one-third of the mass of the chain and sprockets) with 520 chain and lightweight sprockets.
The static mass saving is not very relevant.
The improvement is in the rotational mass of the driveline which allows the engine to spin up faster (it reaches more power sooner) and reduction in the unsprung mass hanging off the shock absorber to improve the suspension.
I doubt there's enough in it to be measured accurately on the dyno but I'd guess it's possible for an engineering brain to calculate the potential hp of saving 1kg from the driveline.

I also run an aluminium disc to save another 560gms.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That doesnt sound too bad. I'm looking for more acceleration and low end torque feel, I dont need to go 160+mph on the streets here so i dont mind giving up a few miles up top. is -1/+2 and a speedo healer is wise investment to fulfill these boyish needs??

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
is -1/+2 and a speedo healer is wise investment to fulfill these boyish needs??
Lowering the gearing is the number one thing I recommend to anybody with a sports bike.
Never found a need for a speedo healer though as I just make the conversion in my head.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That doesnt sound too bad. I'm looking for more acceleration and low end torque feel, I dont need to go 160+mph on the streets here so i dont mind giving up a few miles up top. is -1/+2 and a speedo healer is wise investment to fulfill these boyish needs??
Well in that case, yeah go ahead and go for the 520 conversion. Right now im running -1 on the front, sometimes ill do the -1 in the front and go with +3,4,5 in the rear. But then the bike just wants to reach for the sky on the streets, and track too. I just like to be on the track with the newer bikes and accel like my @$$ is on FIYA. As far as fueling, it could always be better. But, the PC will not have you movin out like the sprockets regearing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I doubt there's enough in it to be measured accurately on the dyno but I'd guess it's possible for an engineering brain to calculate the potential hp of saving 1kg from the driveline.
There will be no difference in power, as it only depends on the energy expended from friction forces on the chain. My guess would be that friction will be the same in both chains, or if there is any difference that would negligible.
If a dyno registers a higher power, then it is because the dyno is inertial and reads a higher acceleration.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
perfect, those are the responses i was lookng for, I shouldve been more clear about also changing the sprockets. Anyways, I appreciate the input

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
If a dyno registers a higher power, then it is because the dyno is inertial and reads a higher acceleration.
Improvements in acceleration is what most of us are looking for when modifying our bikes.
Who cares if you have 250hp if it accelerates like a moped.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Improvements in acceleration is what most of us are looking for when modifying our bikes.
Who cares if you have 250hp if it accelerates like a moped.

:plus1:

I agree... If your goal is to pull harder go with the 520... When racing very few bikes will get a chance to top out in a meaningful way... All about braking getting in and getting out smoother and faster....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts