Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 CBR 600 F2 has oil in the coolant and white smoke coming out of the exhaust periodically, as well as a "running hot" or over heating issue.

So i think i need to replace the head gasket. I have a manual on order, but for the sake of time what do I need to replace? Just the head gasket or the head cover gasket as well? Any thing else?

I am also replacing the water pump and adding a jet kit.

All help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 1994 CBR 600 F2 has oil in the coolant and white smoke coming out of the exhaust periodically, as well as a "running hot" or over heating issue.

So i think i need to replace the head gasket. I have a manual on order, but for the sake of time what do I need to replace? Just the head gasket or the head cover gasket as well? Any thing else?

All help is appreciated!
Are you certain you need to replace the head gasket? How does the oil look? Milky? Or does it look fine? Have you done a compression test?

The reason I ask, is, let's say when you are seeing white smoke in the exhaust, it's atmospheric... cool days, or at times when there's moisture in the exhaust from high humidity,rain, washing the bike, etc.
IF, the white smoke can be explained away with those options, that leaves us with the issue of oil in the coolant, and the most common cause of this on these bikes, is bad O-Rings/gaskets in the oil cooler.

This is the parts fiche for that contains the oil cooler assembly:

CRANKCASE SET

Where the oil cooler core joins the body of the oil cooler, there are two O-Rings (item #36), which if bad, would allow oil into the coolant... this will of course contaminate your coolant, preventing it from doing it's job properly, which might contribute to overheating, if you are indeed running too hot.

Bottom line: this is a much easier job than a head gasket, and even if you go ahead and order the O-Rings, sight-unseen of the torn down oil cooler assembly, you're out what? $3 to $4? I'd check this first if I were you. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

All help is appreciated!

I agree with JNS, you haven't actually diagnosed a gasket failure yet.
Just the head gasket but on a twenty-year-old engine it'd be a good thing to do the valve guide seals while you have the head off. The valve cover gasket you can do any time you are checking valve clearances.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil is milky. I don't think the gaskets have been replaced and might be warped from the excessive heat. I mean this thing gets HOT! :flame: AND since will be installing a jet kit, I figured id fix everything while I have it apart. I will also be doing an oil change.

I will definitely also be adding what you have just recommended with the oil cooler.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The oil is milky. I don't think the gaskets have been replaced and might be warped from the excessive heat. I mean this thing gets HOT! :flame: AND since will be installing a jet kit, I figured id fix everything while I have it apart. I will also be doing an oil change.

I will definitely also be adding what you have just recommended with the oil cooler.

Thanks again!

How hot does it get?
Does the fan come on?
Do a compression test at least before pulling the head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fan does come on.
Not sure of temp, as I do not have any gauges.
How do I do a compression test? :confused:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts