Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im looking to get my first bike. is the 600rr or 954rr better? i hear liter bikes are dangerous, but i dont want to die anytime soon so i am positive to drive responsibility. Which is better in technical terms such as handling, etc?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I have had no experience with a 600rr. I have had a 954rr, and can tell you she is touchy, you can flip it in first gear really really easily (due to such a short wheelbase and gobs of grunt)
I honestly wouldn't recommend a 954rr as a first bike, even though you said you would be responsible its more to it than that, its about experience, and having that powerful (and touchy) of a machine without having some built up experience-based instinct is pretty risky. What year 600 are you looking at? Have you considered an F4i? Awesome bikes for beginners and experienced alike. A newer 600rr has way more power than you'd need on the street as well, but I imagine (as I said no experience personally) they would be a bit easier to tame.
Most on here would say start with a 250, learn on it, love it, and step up when you are ready. I agree, to a point. But if you found an older 600 that would be a great starter as well (but you'd still have to be really really ginger with her)
Are you planning on taking a safety course? These are just my 2 pennies, and I'm sure others will post theirs as well....

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
No prob :smilebig:
I think an 04-05 600rr would be great, still a very powerful machine, but I know some people that wanted to start with a 600 and graduate to a litre, but never did, they loved the 600 so much they just stayed with it. Its all about what fits you, what trips your trigger, don't get caught up in the notion that you have to have a particular bike to be 'accepted'. many many GOOD riders will smoke someone on a bigger bike, just because they learned how to master their machines. Bigger=not always better.
If you do want to graduate to a bigger bike down the road, all the skills you will have learned on the 600 will only make you a better pilot on a litre.
Good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

·
Registered
917 Posts
The 945 is no starter bike. I have 900rr and it ain't neither. Go with the 600. I started my son on a 600, 7 or 8 months ago and upgrading has not crossed his mind. I'm sure that it will in a couple years but he will still be able to get some money out of the bike when he does decide to upgrade... There was great debate about my parenting skills, and what kind of person I am to buy a 17 year old a CBR600f3. There were those that agreed with me. The cbr600 that you are looking at is more than enough to learn on, and practice for a couple years at least. I am 6'2" and 270 lbs, I'm not a fatty I workout daily, and the boy's 600 still has enough a$$ to haul me at faster than needed speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts