Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost as fast as the CBR954RR, and handles pretty similar, oh and the brakes are nearly as good too. Well, if you believe that you shouldn't be at this site!!
But a great trouble free bike that has served me well for nearly 20 years!!!!!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pete said:
Looks brand new!!!
Pete,
Thank you for the compliment. I have pampered the bike from new and it has only been ridden a little each year, an average of 1,500 miles, it has just turned 30,000 and still looks mint. It is a great little bike, it has 'enough' horsepower (74) to give a thrill if you really push it and will do 130mph with very little effort. Shaft drive and hydraulic tappets, make it a maintenance-free bike, and with good modern tires it can still scratch with some of the best of them!!!!!!

I just have to be careful when I take it for a ride, and then return and jump on the 954, there is a little difference!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sweet ride. Brings back memories...my first street bike(been riding dirt since I was seven)...a brand new 650 Nighthawk. Bought it at the beginning of summer, right after graduating high school in 1983. In less than three months I had worn not only the little nubs they had on the pegs, but almost 1/4" of the pegs themselves off. At the beginning of the fourth month, a car pulled out in front of me on a freshly sealcoated residential street and at less than 20mph, I put the bike under the car and me over the car...result...two shattered lower vertebrae and one fractured... Was a hoot to ride though.

J

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fumbucker,
Yes, the 1983-1986 650 SC Nighthawk was a first bike for a lot of people, a great choice as they are a great ride. (mine is a 1984). As I said, and as your worn footpegs prove, they can scratch with some of the best with the right rider!!! It was one of Honda's best bikes and proof of that was it that sold very well. The smallish fuel tank capacity is a bit of a pain as at 95-100 miles you better be looking for a gas station, less if you are taking it to the red line most of the time, but apart from that I can't fault it! I bought it as a second bike and it was perfect for a commuter as well as good enough to surprise a lot of sport bikes of the day on a Sunday ride through twisty canyon roads.
Sorry to hear that yours ended up under a car....and even more sorry to hear of your shattered vertebrea....ouch, that will hurt for the rest of your life!!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry to hear that yours ended up under a car....and even more sorry to hear of your shattered vertebrea....ouch, that will hurt for the rest of your life!!!![/QUOTE]

Only when I walk or sit or stand or lay... but I am still able to do all these things under my own power as well as ride so,,, :smilebig:

J

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
fumbducker said:
Sweet ride. Brings back memories...my first street bike(been riding dirt since I was seven)...a brand new 650 Nighthawk. Bought it at the beginning of summer, right after graduating high school in 1983. In less than three months I had worn not only the little nubs they had on the pegs, but almost 1/4" of the pegs themselves off. At the beginning of the fourth month, a car pulled out in front of me on a freshly sealcoated residential street and at less than 20mph, I put the bike under the car and me over the car...result...two shattered lower vertebrae and one fractured... Was a hoot to ride though.

J
My first street bike as well. My buddy had a v45 Magna and I had an 83 Nighthawk. We were side by side came over a hill, lady stopped in the middle of the road and we both broadsided her. I flew over the car and landed in the street and Tom landed in the grass somehow. When in the hospital I told the some of the girls that came to visit that I pushed him in mid-air to the grass so that we both wouldn't be seriously hurt. I couldn't believe they bought. I digress.
650 Nighthawk - I have more memories on that bike than all my bikes combined(z50 close 2nd)-the Chickies, Ocean City, MD, riding in the snow(long story) and did I mention the Chickies?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, what is it with these Nighthawks, everyone is running them into cars!!!!

It is a sunny day here today in Northern California and I went for a ride on my Nighthawk, and then on my 954. I stopped at the local Honda dealers on the Nighthawk and there was a guy there who came over and admired my bike saying he bought a red one in 1984 just like mine.....he then went on to tell me about how a car pulled out in front of him 4 months after he bought the Nighthawk and he broadsided the car, totaling the Nighthawk!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts