Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a 6x12 dual axle trailer with or without brakes and was wondering if my 99 5.0l explorer would be good enough to pull it with max of 3 bikes and gear? I plan on putting a shift kit in before towing and most of the time it will be just one bike.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
rocket954 said:
Thinking about buying a 6x12 dual axle trailer with or without brakes and was wondering if my 99 5.0l explorer would be good enough to pull it with max of 3 bikes and gear? I plan on putting a shift kit in before towing and most of the time it will be just one bike.
Limiting factor is braking. Check to see what your vehicle is rated to tow.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It'll get you there, but if you're towing on the highway in hills or crosswinds, it will really slow you down.

Make sure you get a quality tranny cooler on it too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
rocket954 said:
Thinking about buying a 6x12 dual axle trailer with or without brakes.
With electric brakes definitely. With the electric brakes on both axles, your truck will stop in about the same distance as it does with out the trailer, if you set them correctly. I believe the standard towing capacity for the 5.0 Explorer was at least 3500# so you should be fine. Check you owners manual anyway. I would not mess with the shift kit if you are going to be towing. I agree with luvtolean on the tranny cooler, B&M makes some nice ones. I took my stock one off, and put the biggest one from B&M I could find. They even have some with built in fans and thermostats, I would have put one of those in, but I found it after I had already installed mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts