Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Here's the rundown. 1986 Magna, Battery is 2 years old. R/R replaced last year. Battery voltage 12.6 at rest, 14.5 at 3000 RPMs. Stator tested resistance was .7 on all 3 pins, no short to ground & 68.6 volts output on all pins. Bike starts fine, runs great. After an 25 mile ride; I plug in a 1.5 amp maintenance charger & its about 2 hours before the charger indicates the battery is full. Shouldn't the charging system have fully charged the battery on the ride? Charging system seems to test OK. 1.5 amp charger is new. Battery was in the bike when the original R/R was bad. Possible battery damage? Or am I expecting to much of the charging system?
Thanks Guys,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
OK, Here's the rundown. 1986 Magna, Battery is 2 years old. R/R replaced last year. Battery voltage 12.6 at rest, 14.5 at 3000 RPMs. Stator tested resistance was .7 on all 3 pins, no short to ground & 68.6 volts output on all pins. Bike starts fine, runs great. After an 25 mile ride; I plug in a 1.5 amp maintenance charger & its about 2 hours before the charger indicates the battery is full. Shouldn't the charging system have fully charged the battery on the ride? Charging system seems to test OK. 1.5 amp charger is new. Battery was in the bike when the original R/R was bad. Possible battery damage? Or am I expecting to much of the charging system?
Thanks Guys,
Mike

Why are you connecting a charger to the battery if it's not low?
I'd guess it's something to do with the way the charger measures the voltage.
Riding the bike is the best way to look after the battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bladeracer,
Guess it's just me being overly cautious. This being my first bike; it's age & only being able to ride maybe 3 times a week; I've been pulling the charger in after a ride. I'll give it a try & just park it; see how it starts up after sitting for a couple days. Thanks for your input.
Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts