Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just want to start a general discussion about Speedo readings and actual speed readings verified using a gps device.

Now on my private test track i was able to achieve 165mph on the speedo (This was while wearing touring leathers/small rucksack.)

While the blades speedo said i had reached 165mph the GPS said i had only hit 150mph

Is this sort of speedo error normal?, Works out at about a 10% over-read? and is this sort of top speed out of a 1998 cbr900rr correct?

cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yours is closer then mine! My 98s speedo read over 185 and gps showed 144.4 was my top speed. I've asked the same question and have been told 10% is about normal for the speedo to be off

·
Registered
596 Posts
my understanding is that the error % changes through the rpm band, so while it is 10% at 150, it may not be near as bad at 50. i don't know for sure though, and mine has a -1/+2 so it's WAY off, lol, and i don't have a GPS to check it.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey, just want to start a general discussion about Speedo readings and actual speed readings verified using a gps device.

Now on my private test track i was able to achieve 165mph on the speedo (This was while wearing touring leathers/small rucksack.)

While the blades speedo said i had reached 165mph the GPS said i had only hit 150mph

Is this sort of speedo error normal?, Works out at about a 10% over-read? and is this sort of top speed out of a 1998 cbr900rr correct?

cheers

GPS is not perfectly accurate either.
In as-new condition the 900RR should be good for around 160mph.
Yes, speedo error at top speed can be huge.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
my understanding is that the error % changes through the rpm band, so while it is 10% at 150, it may not be near as bad at 50. i don't know for sure though, and mine has a -1/+2 so it's WAY off, lol, and i don't have a GPS to check it.

The error does increase but nothing to do with rpm.
The error increases as aerodynamic drag increases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts