Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a few days ago I posted about how I thought my starter was damaged because of a minor accident. Unfortunatley, I investigated further tonight and found that the motor is completley locked up. Im not sure what the extent of the damage is, but im expecting the worse. Does anybody know what year of engines will fit into my 95 900rr frame without modification. Im pretty sure 93-95 will fit, but im not so sure about 1996-on. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
Hmmmm.....thats a tough one....your best bet would be getting hold of a 95 model motor, or have yours rebuilt. The 96 (919cc) should prolly fit as i think it was just a bored out 893cc, but the 97(919cc but all new motor) onwards i doubt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking the same thing. I'll have mine rebuilt so long as the crankcase isn't damaged. Do you know what is new about the 97 motor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
it was a completely new motor....like going from 954 to 1000 or from 919 to 929....completely redesigned motor just happened to have the same capacity as the previous one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
93-99 900rrs all have the same motor mount locations on the frame and on the cases. This meanes that any 93-99 900rr motor will BOLT right in to any 93-99 frame. The only problem is that the harnesses are different and to have the bike run correctly you need the correct harness. And about the motors being totally redesigned from 97-99 I don't think thats right, there are slight differences but the design of the cases are are still the same. In fact Honda still uses this motor design in the 919. My opinion is that if you want your bike running asap I would look for a used motor (and harness if need be). If you don't mind pulling out the motor and diagnosing the problem and then rebuilding it go ahead. If you do the work yourself it CAN be cheaper then getting another motor it's just a lot more time consuming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
The SC33 models had the new engine, the early 893 motors were basically a bored out 750 lump. The 918/9 lump was the new engine and remained reletivly unchange untill they went fuel injected. As far as model years go 96 seams to be the change year, but you are better checking the chassis/frame nos.

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
96 was a one off year....they bored out the 893....after that they went to a new motor up to the 929 which saw another redesign. As for any motor from 93-99 being interchangeable, are you sure? The mounts may be in a similar/exact location, but the engines were different so you ned to make sure the engine fits the frame, eg not to wide, tall etc. I would be very surprised if you could bolt an 893 into a 98 900 frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Cowboy1600 said:
96 was a one off year....they bored out the 893....after that they went to a new motor up to the 929 which saw another redesign. As for any motor from 93-99 being interchangeable, are you sure? The mounts may be in a similar/exact location, but the engines were different so you ned to make sure the engine fits the frame, eg not to wide, tall etc. I would be very surprised if you could bolt an 893 into a 98 900 frame.
They didn't bore out the 893, the 918 was the new motor. The 893 was the bored out 750 lump....................96 wasn't a one off year it was the year that the SC33's were introduced, post 97 the motor was tweeked but it remained basically the same till the fuel injected units were introduced
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
RRTSean said:
They didn't bore out the 893, the 918 was the new motor. The 893 was the bored out 750 lump....................96 wasn't a one off year it was the year that the SC33's were introduced, post 97 the motor was tweeked but it remained basically the same till the fuel injected units were introduced
Check my post :wstupid: I corrected myself....96-97 were the same.

And yes, the first 918 was different from the 893, and then in 98 it was updated again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Cowboy1600 said:
Check my post :wstupid: I corrected myself....96-97 were the same.

And yes, the first 918 was different from the 893, and then in 98 it was updated again.
Sorry m8y.............................I should learn to read a bit better, no malace ment.

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Yes, both of you are right the SC33 is a different motor than the SC28 internally but externally they are very similar. Similar enough to interchange with either frame, so I still stand by the fact that any 93-99 motor can be BOLTED ON any 93-99 frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
RONINDBLR said:
Yes, both of you are right the SC33 is a different motor than the SC28 internally but externally they are very similar. Similar enough to interchange with either frame, so I still stand by the fact that any 93-99 motor can be BOLTED ON any 93-99 frame.

Ok so you stress bolted into, but this doesnt mean they're interchangeable. Are the engines weighted the same? are the carbies in the right spot? exhaust routing? Will the front sprocket line up perfectly?

These all have to be taken into account before you bolt a new motor in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have a 919 in my 95 frame if that helps any. I'm not sure what year it is out of. I think the guy I bought it off of said it was a 98. All I know is that it has 919 stamped on it and a cracked head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I have a 98 919 in my 95 blade and it bolted straight in with no probs. the carbs and ancills all fit but you do need the 98 harness for the bike to run properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
So other than the 900 motors in any of the 900s in the 90s what other motor can go in it I’ve been reading the 1100 XX black bird motor will fit is this true and how hard is it??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
there's a thread on here with someone fitting the 1100xx motor into their 900. they had to do some cutting to the fairings to route hoses but it looks great.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top