Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '93 900RR back in the spring and it now has 64,000 km's on it and I'm thinking it may be a bit low on power. I Haven't done a compression test yet ( Do one this weekend) and It runs a tad bit rough at idle ( dosen't just purr). One of my friends has a '03 gixxer 750 and when accelerating the bike can effortlessly hold the front wheel 6-8 inches off the ground. I'm running 15-43 gearing and a wmp exhaust and my steering dosen't get light till about 7 or 8 thousand rpm when the wheel starts lifting a bit. Is this normal or low power for a 900. I know the gixxer is 10 years newer, but I'v been told that the 900 is a gutsy bike?

any ideas?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The old 900 has a decent engine with a fair amount of torque, but an '03 GSXR750 just simply has 10+whp more than the 900RR, as well as being MUCH lighter.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
sledneck800 said:
I bought a '93 900RR back in the spring and it now has 64,000 km's on it and I'm thinking it may be a bit low on power. I Haven't done a compression test yet ( Do one this weekend) and It runs a tad bit rough at idle ( dosen't just purr). One of my friends has a '03 gixxer 750 and when accelerating the bike can effortlessly hold the front wheel 6-8 inches off the ground. I'm running 15-43 gearing and a wmp exhaust and my steering dosen't get light till about 7 or 8 thousand rpm when the wheel starts lifting a bit. Is this normal or low power for a 900. I know the gixxer is 10 years newer, but I'v been told that the 900 is a gutsy bike?

any ideas?
My '96 900RR felt pretty weak until at least 7500 or so RPM. Below that, I couldn't tell much difference between it and my F3. BDA is right; you're at a disadvantage against an '03 GSXR750 by quite a bit even if your bike is running perfectly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yeah I knew that the gsxr is lighter and newer technology, going to do a compression test still to verify that the engine is still making good power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts