Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my clutch is on the way out. On hills, my bike revs like it's in neutral and then catches, also under hard acceleration, the bike revs high and doesn't seem to want to catch firmly.

I found complete kevlar clutch kits on ebay for $208, I'm very mechanically inclined but haven't done bike clutches. Are there any special tools needed and is this job something not too complicated and something that I can handle.

Can someone walk me through step by step for a complete clutch replacement/installation. Helpful hints, what to expect, common snags, and how to inspect for additional worn parts would be appreciated. Also, could anybody include specifications for the spring height and tension and the stack height for a late '90's 900RR.

A Step-by-step guide would be most helpful to me.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dude its not that difficult. and you being a mechanic should make it all the easier. All u need is an 8mm socket to remove the cover and a 10mm socket to remove the clutches, just pack them back as they were removed clutch then plate then clutch. Its quite simple. Go for it, open it up and u will be surprised as to how easy it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
what he said is correct and to make it even better soak your new clutches in some oil. And also the the very back clutch plate and the front clutch plate is the two thickest ones make sure not to get them mixed up wit the other ones. identify them two first out of the new ones and just make sure to have one in the back and one in the front. But like he said clutch then steel then plate, real easy. And if your clutches are gone once you take them out and if the clutch plates don't have any ridges in them, like flat looking then there worn, but good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna attempt it. I've been told about some kind of special tool for the springs?? Is this needed for my application?
Also, how do I tell if the clutch basket has any issues?
Does anyone have the specs (stack height, spring tension, etc.)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just my personal opinion...but you cannot beat factory Honda fibers and plates. Trust me, my hobby abuses clutches. I've tried just about all of them and nothing beats OEM. I do use Barnett springs. Just my .02. As for replacing them, as mentioned, it's easy as pie. It helps to have small picks that are bent on the ends to get the last few plates/fibers out as they are hard to get to. Do it with bike on sidestand and you shouldn't lose any oil. Take it easy tightening bolts that go through the springs!! It's very easy to break the fingers on your inner hub, and they are pretty expensive. I use a 1/4" ratchet and just snug them. With that much spring pressure, they aren't coming loose. Also, as mentioned, all you need for the springs is a 10mm socket, no special tools required.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the tip on replacing clutch with oem parts .. do you have any good links for a oem clutch kit.. so not to be stupid im basically removing clutch basket and emptying basket inspecting basket for wear and replacing clutches(soaked in same oil) in the same order with new clutch parts..then snugging springs down and reinstalling basket..any other tips or steps i need would be appreciated..thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you're removing the basket, you will need a 30 or 32mm socket (can't remember off top of my head) and an impact. I use an electric and hold basket with a shop rag stuck between basket and inner hub (watch your fingers). Personally I don't soak my fibers. I have a tupperware container half filled with fresh oil and submerse the fiber in oil then install it. When I'm done I run front wheel up against a wall or tree and (with bike in gear) slowly release clutch lever until bike bogs. That will squeegie excess oil off. (oh yeah, don't forget to stake the big nut on your basket)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am doing my clutch right now too. I have two metal shims or washers they were up against the furthest disc in. It seems that the plate closest to the motor had a larger inside diameter hole than the new clutch and they fit inside of it. Are these shims suppose to be there? What do I do with these washers/shims as the new kit doesn't have them. One of them is like inverted.... or maybe concaved is better.

This is my first post
My name is Josh by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
SO apparently this is the "
SEAT, JUDDER SPRING

and
SPRING, JUDDER I cannot tell from the fische where they go. CAN ANYONE HELP???? I would like to wrap this up tonight and go to bed.

Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to provide!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thankyou, but I ended up buying the repair manual and found out how the judder spring works. I also found out I was short one fiber ring.... the one that the judder spring fit in. It is all fixed now. Thanks agan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can anybody help me???
ive fitted all the plates in correct order but i can not for the life of me get the cover back on with the lifting pin lined up properly with the push rod the top of my lifting pin were clutch atatches is sittin back way to far.. and it is solid will not pull forward anymore to get the cable on..
anybody got any tips or advice???

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am doing my clutch right now too. I have two metal shims or washers they were up against the furthest disc in. It seems that the plate closest to the motor had a larger inside diameter hole than the new clutch and they fit inside of it. Are these shims suppose to be there? What do I do with these washers/shims as the new kit doesn't have them. One of them is like inverted.... or maybe concaved is better.

This is my first post
My name is Josh by the way.
Yes these MUST be fitted!

The flat one (Seat) is fitted first and then the judder spring next. The convex side faces the engine (hence the concave side faces the plates). Next is the clutch plate with the larger internal diameter (you should only have one of these), followed my a metal plate. Friction plates and metal plates are then alternated.

HTH

Cheers
Simon

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Just had a question since I'm doing the clutch on my '00 about the Judder springs and how they go in?

Did you read the post just above yours?
Or refer to the manual?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 96 with a loud noisy clutch area so I bought an entire clutch basket assembly fingers crossed it solves the issue. Odometer says 57,xxx miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this exact problem anyone be able to help?

Can anybody help me???
ive fitted all the plates in correct order but i can not for the life of me get the cover back on with the lifting pin lined up properly with the push rod the top of my lifting pin were clutch atatches is sittin back way to far.. and it is solid will not pull forward anymore to get the cable on..
anybody got any tips or advice???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts