Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 900rr is not charging enough,, well barley at all,Replaced the stator and the reg/rectifier, Fully Charged Battery the battery wont read over 12.2volts, at the red/white wire and ground AT the rectifier it will read up to 12.9 @5000rpms,, You use power at rectifier and ground at battery it will read 12.2, use power at battery and ground at rectifier it will read 12.9. Checked the ground at the battery, moved the ground, added a second ground, NOTHING IS WORKING, checked all the wires too and from everywhere everything looks good, the stator is putting out 50-60 AC volts at 5,000 rpms... Please help.... It's been at the local shop and he didnt figure it out either ... is there a short somewhere,, i got the biked trashed.. Could i have gotten a bad rectifier from Ricks??? anything will help.=(,,, thanks,,, dan

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
My 98 900rr is not charging enough,, well barley at all,Replaced the stator and the reg/rectifier, Fully Charged Battery the battery wont read over 12.2volts, at the red/white wire and ground AT the rectifier it will read up to 12.9 @5000rpms,, You use power at rectifier and ground at battery it will read 12.2, use power at battery and ground at rectifier it will read 12.9. Checked the ground at the battery, moved the ground, added a second ground, NOTHING IS WORKING, checked all the wires too and from everywhere everything looks good, the stator is putting out 50-60 AC volts at 5,000 rpms... Please help.... It's been at the local shop and he didnt figure it out either ... is there a short somewhere,, i got the biked trashed.. Could i have gotten a bad rectifier from Ricks??? anything will help.=(,,, thanks,,, dan
Are your readings different from the old parts you replaced?
Across the battery terminals you only have 12.9V with the engine running?
Is the voltage dropping while the engine is running?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
same as my old parts,, my old stator looked fried,, and yes its 12.9 running at 5,000rpms,, is the highest it will go with a fully charged battery, when the battery is deader it drops accordingly

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
same as my old parts,, my old stator looked fried,, and yes its 12.9 running at 5,000rpms,, is the highest it will go with a fully charged battery, when the battery is deader it drops accordingly
Have you tried a different battery?
It sounds like the regulator isn't working.
I don't understand what you mean about the battery being flatter it drops accordingly - the output of the regulator isn't dependant on how much charge the battery has to begin with. Even with a totally dead battery you should get the same readings from the charging system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is brand new and did try a different battery, So even with a dead battery the regulator/rec should be putting out 13.8 or somthing right?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The battery is brand new and did try a different battery, So even with a dead battery the regulator/rec should be putting out 13.8 or somthing right?
Even with the regulator disconnected from the battery it should be regulating the output of the stator to about 14.0V-15.5V but the manual would list the exact figures for your bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so if i disconnect the rectifier from the battery and run it,, my out put coming from the rectifier should be around 14v, and if its not,, its the rectifier even though its new because the stator is putting out the right amount of AC volts ?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
so if i disconnect the rectifier from the battery and run it,, my out put coming from the rectifier should be around 14v, and if its not,, its the rectifier even though its new because the stator is putting out the right amount of AC volts ?
It shouldn't matter whether you disconnect it or not, unless there's a problem with the wiring between the reg and the battery.
Do you have a manual with the electrical specs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the shop manual,, I have checked EVERYTHING,, and so did the shop i took it too and he sent me on my way... I have the wiring harness stripped,, All the wires to and from the rectifier is good,

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I got the shop manual,, I have checked EVERYTHING,, and so did the shop i took it too and he sent me on my way... I have the wiring harness stripped,, All the wires to and from the rectifier are good,
Is the bike actually having electrical problems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol problems yea, it aint charging... We working on it in the shop for prob 2-3 hours, and he couldn't figure it out.. so he said sorry, didnt charge me a dime,, If i dont get figure it out, taking it to another shop this coming thursday

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
lol problems yea, it aint charging... We working on it in the shop for prob 2-3 hours, and he couldn't figure it out.. so he said sorry, didnt charge me a dime,, If i dont get figure it out, taking it to another shop this coming thursday
Okay :)
The stator is generating enough power but not enough of it is making it to the battery terminals. Can you try another regulator?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
gunna have to buy another one,, then send mine back to ricks/ western power... #$$# my life.
You don't know anybody with a '98/'99 Blade you can try it on?
It's certainly possible for it to be bad but it is strange that it would give you the same readings as the one you replaced.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so called my parts guy, ordered ANOTHER rectifier from western/ricks,, and if it dont fix it... hmm... dunno what to do .. If the rectifier is NOT putting out 14 ish volts, and the stator is at 50-60 AC volts,,, what do i do next?
btw thanks for all your help guys,,
thanks,, dan

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
so called my parts guy, ordered ANOTHER rectifier from western/ricks,, and if it dont fix it... hmm... dunno what to do .. If the rectifier is NOT putting out 14 ish volts, and the stator is at 50-60 AC volts,,, what do i do next?
btw thanks for all your help guys,,
thanks,, dan
I really wouldn't know what to do. Have you discussed it with Ricks?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
check the plug that plugs into the rectifier
mine looked burnt up when i replaced rectifier
That would be the stator plug with the three yellow wires?
He's replaced the stator as well so the connector shouldn't be the problem - not this soon anyway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts