Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone taken an older 900RR and add newer plastics on it? For example, I have a 95 900RR. I put on 97 upper fairing, lower cowl and rear cowl. my mids are off a 99. same plastic right, just different color. has anyone done this before, because when i put on my upper it fit fine, I put on my mids, they fit just fine, I put on my rear cowl, and it doesnt want to bolt up right, and the lower cowl, well not all the bolts match up with the holes, and they were hella tough to get on, plus I have a bend on my right side lower cowl. I was thinking maybe the brackets dont match up or possibly the Frame is bent. I have no clue whats going on. Im not familiar with frames and swaping out plastics. can someone fill me in here? :idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

:rant: :rant: :rant:

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Nahh... Don't think your frame is bent. There were some changes to the RR in '96, albeit subtle ones, but changes nonetheless. The '92 through '95 ought to interchange fairly easily, same story for the '96 through '99 models. The frame was changed slightly in '96 these changes included fewer internal sections allowing more flex. Honda also raised the swing arm pivot point slightly; both of these changes were aimed at quieting the critics of the RR's "twitchy" front end. The first change to the frame I mentioned shouldn’t be causing any problems, the second may. The subframe may have been changed also though I don't know this for a fact. I'm surprised the upper worked, I know they changed the fairing stay.

Now all of this being said... You may be able to fabricate new brackets to make it work. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
cbr99xx said:
Nahh... Don't think your frame is bent. There were some changes to the RR in '96, albeit subtle ones, but changes nonetheless. The '93 through '95 ought to interchange fairly easily, same story for the '96 through '99 models. The frame was changed slightly in '96 these changes included fewer internal sections allowing more flex. Honda also raised the swing arm pivot point slightly; both of these changes were aimed at quieting the critics of the RR's "twitchy" front end. The first change to the frame I mentioned shouldn’t be causing any problems, the second may. The subframe may have been changed also though I don't know this for a fact. I'm surprised the upper worked, I know they changed the fairing stay.

Now all of this being said... You may be able to fabricate new brackets to make it work. :)
i've heard people say before that 93-95's were "twitchy" and personally, i don't see or feel any "twitchiness"
the 2000 750 gixxer i had, now that was twitchy. twitchy, bitchy, and an all around piece of poopy.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
dingoRR said:
i've heard people say before that 93-95's were "twitchy" and personally, i don't see or feel any "twitchiness"
the 2000 750 gixxer i had, now that was twitchy. twitchy, bitchy, and an all around piece of poopy.
Yeah it was a big thing for all the moto-journo's to jump on back then. The Blade was king... they had to pick on something. Most of the controversy centered on the 16" front wheel, never mind the fact that the profile of this tire brought the OD back to (almost) 17" #'s. Several companies jumped on this bit of controversy and manufactured triple clamps just for the RR. The first set of these clamps that I ever saw was made by Ontario and I would be willing to bet they sold every set they made. Kosman made my triple trees and they had an adjustable offset. All this mod did was to add a bit more trail getting that number back to the "magic" 99MM. I never felt that the front was terrible but after Kent at G.M.D. Computrack did his thing I never looked back. Changing lines mid-corner was no longer a problem whatsoever, the added stability was amazing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts