Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been smoking out the exhaust and burning large amounts of oil.

It started from one day to the next.

The third cylinder plug fauled and it did a couple of times. Instead of replacing the spark plug I just cleaned it off and it hasnt fauled since. Note. when the 3rd cylinder spark plug fauled there was no more smoke coming from the exhaust. The 3rd cylinder wasn't functioning.

It smokes wether the bike os cold or warm i believe and more on hard acceleration.

Here are the questions...

Does the 1999 motor has valve guide seals (the guy at the motorcycle shop said the guides are pressed) or not?

Will it be easy for him to tell if the valve guides are not aligned or need replacing?

b/c it seems to have the problem in the 3rd cylinder should i replace the valve guides or seals (idk yet if it has seals or not) also as a precaussion?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
My bike has been smoking out the exhaust and burning large amounts of oil.

It started from one day to the next.

The third cylinder plug fauled and it did a couple of times. Instead of replacing the spark plug I just cleaned it off and it hasnt fauled since. Note. when the 3rd cylinder spark plug fauled there was no more smoke coming from the exhaust. The 3rd cylinder wasn't functioning.

It smokes wether the bike os cold or warm i believe and more on hard acceleration.

Here are the questions...

Does the 1999 motor has valve guide seals (the guy at the motorcycle shop said the guides are pressed) or not?

Will it be easy for him to tell if the valve guides are not aligned or need replacing?

b/c it seems to have the problem in the 3rd cylinder should i replace the valve guides or seals (idk yet if it has seals or not) also as a precaussion?

Thanks
What do you consider to be "large amounts of oil"?
Does it have any leaks?
Is the fuel economy normal?
Is the smoke black or blue/grey?
Yes, almost all engines have valve guide seals (there are a few rare exceptions). You would probably need to remove the head to check and replace the guides.
First you need to run compression and leakdown tests to determine if the problem is with the rings or valves. If a leaking valve is indicated, check the valve clearances.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel economy is normal

smoke is grey

yea. i need to get the compression test to determine that.

it has burned like quarts, not onces. and like in a matter of hundreds of miles.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
fuel economy is normal

smoke is grey

yea. i need to get the compression test to determine that.

it has burned like quarts, not onces. and like in a matter of hundreds of miles.
Is there much oil in the airbox?
You're checking the oil level with the bike upright and the engine off right?

·
Registered
554 Posts
To answer your questions bout seals...yes, they have seals. If your diagnosis points towards them, they are easy to replace. Seals from Honda dealer will run you around 6 bucks a piece. I get mine from Carolina Cycle. They are OEM and run about 3 bucks a piece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts