Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've did the wheel swap on my 97rrv last year using a f3 cbr600 wheel. Straight swap. Dead simple. If you need further let me know.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The search tool is your friend. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it the same wheel needed for a 95" RRS? bought one off the bay of evil for my streetfighter 94" which went straight in but cant remember what it was??

Plus has anyone changed complete front ends with some success to achieve a 17" front end?
Any help would be great,Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is it the same wheel needed for a 95" RRS? bought one off the bay of evil for my streetfighter 94" which went straight in but cant remember what it was??

Plus has anyone changed complete front ends with some success to achieve a 17" front end?
Any help would be great,Thanks
I believe there's a few threads on this if you dig around but as far as I'm aware yes the CBR600F3 or VFR750R wheel bolt straight into the 92-97 Blades. The 98-99 RRW/RRX have different yokes and hence need spacers and also not sure about the discs on the later 98-99.

The earlier Blades the wheel bolts straight in with the original discs.

Personally I love the way the 16" turns and I'm running the new Bridgestone S20'S. Did a track day at Cadwell park a few weeks ago and they were awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice, i like the turn in on the 16" too but do a lot of long distance motorway miles sometimes upwards of 700 miles round trip so ease of tyre choice comes first. Has anyone fitted different forks, kwak, srad etc to acheive a 17" wheel, so as to upgrade suspension as well?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for the advice, i like the turn in on the 16" too but do a lot of long distance motorway miles sometimes upwards of 700 miles round trip so ease of tyre choice comes first. Has anyone fitted different forks, kwak, srad etc to acheive a 17" wheel, so as to upgrade suspension as well?
I may be wrong (see what others think) but I think you're looking at too complicated upgrades. With the tyres if you are mostly commuting then I think the Bridgestone BT023s are still available as a sport touring tyre.

The 17" conversion really is a straight forward swap, bolt the CBR600F3 or VFR750r wheel straight in (there's a couple on Flea bay at the moment.

With regard to the forks, keep the standard ones they are pretty good for what you need and that way you won't risk messing up any geometry etc. If you want to seriously upgrade the forks then look to K Tech, they now make the full kit (Rebound Valves, Compression/flow valves and Springs) for the RRV, I know because it was designed on my bike, that's the little Red valves in the bottom of the picture. I've just done a track day at Cadwell and the bike handled beautifully.

Hope that helps, see what others think

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ive just done the conversion myself using a CBR600F3, bolted straight on! everything fits!
All i did was powder coat the wheel and changed the bearings and seals ( rude not too) CBR900 ones fit, straight swap!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can vouch for the Bridgestone 023s, especially now I've found suspension set up I'm comfortable with(literally!). Great tyre for realistic road use

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of really useful advice guys, ive got a 95 Blade thats mechanically sound but a little tatty, forks are badly marked by previous owner fitting ill fitting incorrect year mudguard but with a service would probably be nice.

Better forks, brakes and a 17" wheel would be amazing, just wondering how much work would be involved? Ive owned a couple of early blades and streetfightered my previous one, which turned out nice, but want to keep this one in sportsbike style ie faired etc?

·
Registered
931 Posts
R1 front end goes straight in, and I mean just offer the stem into the standard Honda bearings and bolt it all up. You will need top and bottom yokes and 50mm clip-ons of course.
As ever, there are some little things to address. The ignition switch mounting is different, but i did a little bit of Dremelling on the mounting lugs and its fits and looks factory.
R1 forks are longer, so you will need to drop the top yokes by a good two inches.

I was very lucky with this build, engine and frame for £150 (!!!!) Forks with wheel and good tyre, £240 (!!!!!) Needed a top yoke, make sure you get the right model year, they changed them quite a bit and some Blue spot calipers, £60, even had new pads in them!! (All off the 'bay, very lucky that the good stuff came up just when I needed it).
Its a three spoke design so does not match the rear, not that I was bothered as I put in an '08 190 section rear wheel, three spoke design. That also goes straight in, standard spacers, no chain alignment problems. You do have to machine out the spindle slots to match the 25mm '08 spindle diameter, easy enough even without a milling machine.

I did a short write up when I finished it last December, now I've had it out on the road, (just put up 10K miles) I will do a write up now its properly proven.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts