Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a clunking noise from the chain area and when I jacked it up and ran it, the chain jumped and clunked when in gear, so I took the front sprocket off, engine runs smooth as a nut, clutch in, into any gear and still fine, then once the clutch is out, knocking noise from the shaft. I assume engine is fine, gears seem ok as it happens in 1st/2nd/3rd and therefore it must be something to do with the main shaft.

Any advice, other than bay for spares!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I had a clunking noise from the chain area and when I jacked it up and ran it, the chain jumped and clunked when in gear, so I took the front sprocket off, engine runs smooth as a nut, clutch in, into any gear and still fine, then once the clutch is out, knocking noise from the shaft. I assume engine is fine, gears seem ok as it happens in 1st/2nd/3rd and therefore it must be something to do with the main shaft.

Any advice, other than bay for spares!

The chain will jump around when the tyre is unloaded, that is normal.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
No this is not normal believe me. It made the noise when riding, very loud and as I say, there is still a knocking with no chain/sprocket attached.

When you're riding does the noise stop when you change gears or if you hold the clutch lever in?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Will stop when the clutch is in but does it in 1st three gears at low speed, nothing when faster.

Perhaps a broken clutch plate then?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Good idea, would that cause the shaft to jump, i.e. not turn consistantly, therefore making the chain jump?

Any broken component has the potential to cause all sorts of problems, or none at all. But if the noise stops when you load up the clutch then I'd be looking for something that is floating around when it's unloaded, a broken plate is reasonably common, but it could also be breakage of the basket fingers, hub, pressure plate, springs or actuator. If somebody has been in there it could even be assembled incorrectly.
If you're concerned about it though, I would think an inspection of the clutch would at least rule it out even if there is no problem in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem, sound, scraping noise coming out of my 400 CBR RR Fireblade at low revs. With and without clutch engaged.
I think I hear it now more often than before.
(Sorry did not see that in the 400 CBR part in the moment.)

Its not a continuously sound, but seems to come now more frequently.
The Motorbike, runs well has only starting problems after longer parking time.
Have to let clean the carburetors than exactly!

My bike is old, 92 or 93 and I do not use her much.
I am residing in Thailand just recently moved the bike to the rural North Eastern Countryside (Isaan).
Will not be easy to find a mechanic here who has experience with such bikes in this part of TH. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts